Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've given this a bit of thought. Only 1 LFS around me has cons, so I'm sure they will take a few off my hands. I was planning on taking my male con out of my 20 gallon, and placing him in my 20 long. In a few months, when I can sex the fry, I plan on removing all males and putting them in the 20 long, and leave the females with their mother.

Is this plan plausible? If I remove my male con will he fight with my firemouth? 1 clutch is enough for the time being, I really don't want to be over-run with convicts.

I change my mind quite a bit, this is just the current plan.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Why don't you try placing the fry in with the firemouth? I'm not sure if the firemouth will eat the fry, but if he does you'll have found a way to control the con population and you'll be able to enjoy the parenting behaviour of the cons on a regular basis.
I imagine the adult con and fm will fight if put together in a 20; might not be right away, but eventually they likely will.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I do that, at what time is right to remove the fry? They were free swimmers on May 15. And won't the parents go crazy if suddenly they're children are gone?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
duds said:
I'm not sure if the firemouth will eat the fry,
IDK, my firemouth is pretty sizable, but it's like pulling teeth trying to get a picture of him, as he hides in his sickled stone whenever he sees me. The tiger barbs I added are helping to calm him down and bring him out somemore, but he still clams up when he sees me; he's terrified of me. That's exactly the opposite of my male convict.

The TBs I added are all small as ****, and he didn't harm them yet...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts