Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pseudotropheus saulosi that has been holding for about 19 days. I seperated her today and put her in one of my empty tanks. The reason I did this is the male Saulosi chases her whenever he can and I wanted to protect her and the fry. Is this overkill? I'm not really trying to breed these guys, it's just the first time any of my AC's has held egss more then a few days.
My idea is to let her spit her fry naturally and then to let her beef up again before I re-introduce her back with the male. I have a feeling the male is going to want to breed with her immediately. Unfortunately she is the only Saulosi female I have. I've tried to get some more females but lost them due to bad shipping.
How long after she spits should I keep her seperated? If I can, I would like to put a couple more females in with her if I can find them locally.
Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well she spitted out the babies while at work today. I thought that might happen. There looks to be about 15-20 little guys. I bought some "Hikari First Bites", is this a proper food for them?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Congrats buddy :D

That food you bought will be fine. It is specially formulated for young fry. Another alternative is crushed NLS which is what i feed mine.

If ever there is a spare tank around removing the mum to her own tank is always the best method. Whenever there isn't a free tank, catching her on day 18 and stripping her works fine. Most of the time holding mums are fine in the original tank providing there is heavy rock work for hiding out.

Good luck with the fry. Feed them 2-3 times a day and 25% water change every 2-3 days :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.