Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have two cycled tanks running. A 55G Mbuna tank with 18 large juveniles. Tank went through a fishless cycle about 3 months ago. I also have a 20G emergency tank I did a fishless cycle on about 2 months ago with 8 Barbs keeping it company. The 55G has a wet/dry with two trays of bio balls and a separate chamber for the sump pump. The 20G has a Fluval C3 with a small sponge filter. All of these are cycles and well established. In preparation for the subject of my question I recently added about a gallon of bio balls to the pump area of the 55G wet/dry. I also added a large sponge filter to the 20G tank.

Now, I am about to set up a 125G Tropheus tank. This will have a 30G aquarium sump filter. There are two chambers before the last chamber that will house a mag drive return pump. I can put about anything in the first two chambers. I have tons of lime rock and coral rock for filtration and/or decoration. I would like to do a fishless cycle on the 125G tank as quickly as possible using the seeding I have available. Any suggestions on how to use what I have on hand would be welcomed. I do not want to totally move the 55G wet/dry.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I know you don't want to, but I think the *best* way to seed your 125 would be to use your 55 wet/dry system. But I don't know what you'd do with your 18 cichlids.

The more reasonable alternative is you could take a bunch of your 55's substrate and mix it in with your new substrate and take one tray of your bioballs and put it in your sump.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Just take some bioballs from the 55 and move them to the new sump. You don't need a lot. Take a handful and lay them on top of or in front of the new filter's biomedia. Take two handfuls if you can, just be careful not to disrupt the existing one. 3 months isn't really that long for a new setup. I'd be a bit conservative. Shouldn't take much media. I've cycled many times in 7-10 days using this method.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. How about this. A handful of established bio balls, exchange a few rocks from the 55G to the 125G and put the small sponge filter (the one that's more seasoned) in the 125G sump? The 55G has a rock wall but the 125G will have a rock pile on each end and maybe some structure in the middle. BTW - I am not running powerheads on the sponge filters but do have them hooked up to air.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.