Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an Odyssea CFS500 canister filter for my 55gallon because I want to replace my noisy bio-wheel filters. I did a modification on it and consequently there is now some extra space around the media in the canister. My question is if I put a couple of the cartridges from my HOB filter into the canister could I just remove my HOB and just run my canister? I was thinking this would essentially seed my canister to the point where it could handle my bioload. I currently have 29 juvenile (.75-1.5") mbuna and 2 young BN pleco's.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have done this before with good results. I would probably do it. Just a couple weeks ago I took all the media from one HOB and put it into a newer, bigger HOB and had no issues with any levels spiking.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I think I'll just put the media from my smaller HOB into the canister and leave my larger HOB on the tank for a couple weeks...just to be safe.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It is safer and just as a backup, I like to keep something on the shelf for any spikes that might come up. Do more testing for a while to see that all is okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.