Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know about how long it takes to seed a pad in an established tank? I set up a grow out tank last weekend for 17 dem fry that are currently in a 10 gal. this is my first time raising fry so Im not familiar with their growth rate, but my guess is they will need the grow out tank within a couple weeks (they are 10 days old now).

If the pad will not be seeded by then, how about taking a rock or substrate from the main tank? is this immediately effective?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I like to think about it as if I was moving a tank. When I move, I have to completely drain a tank and refill it with new water. The bacteria in the filter is enough to sustain the new water and the bioload, that is the point of the filter after all. In theory, setting up a new tank with an established filter is the same concept.

I recently setup a new 55 and instead of cycling the tank, I borrowed about half of the media from an established canister on a 55, and moved an established HOB to the new tank while putting a brand new HOB on the tank it came from. There was another HOB on the tank it came from, so there was already established biofilter there. The first night, I dropped six 1" juvies in there to test the water. The next day, I started using the tank as a community holding tank while I was moving/trading fish around. Never had any issue and the tank has 55 juvies in it now. IIRC, the bio bacteria duplicates pretty quick if its already established, the longest part of cycling is getting the nitrifying bacteria to begin establishing itself.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RRasco said:
I like to think about it as if I was moving a tank. When I move, I have to completely drain a tank and refill it with new water. The bacteria in the filter is enough to sustain the new water and the bioload, that is the point of the filter after all. In theory, setting up a new tank with an established filter is the same concept.

I recently setup a new 55 and instead of cycling the tank, I borrowed about half of the media from an established canister on a 55, and moved an established HOB to the new tank while putting a brand new HOB on the tank it came from. There was another HOB on the tank it came from, so there was already established biofilter there. The first night, I dropped six 1" juvies in there to test the water. The next day, I started using the tank as a community holding tank while I was moving/trading fish around. Never had any issue and the tank has 55 juvies in it now. IIRC, the bio bacteria duplicates pretty quick if its already established, the longest part of cycling is getting the nitrifying bacteria to begin establishing itself.
I think you misunderstood my question lol. :wink: I dropped a brand new pad in my main tank filter, and Im wondering how long it will take for that new pad to aquire some bacteria.

·
Registered
162 Posts
2 weeks should be enough time to get a good colony of BB established in the new pad. Also IME 15-20 fry should be ok in a 10 gallon for about a month if not alittle more as long as you keep up with water changes every couple days or so. :thumb:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AZcichlidfreak said:
2 weeks should be enough time to get a good colony of BB established in the new pad. Also IME 15-20 fry should be ok in a 10 gallon for about a month if not alittle more as long as you keep up with water changes every couple days or so. :thumb:
Great I should be in good shape then. IYE, is it better to leave the fry in the 10 gal longer for easier feeding, or to move them a little earlier to promote faster growth?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
I do it overnight. Never had a problem or measurable ammonia/nitrite in the new tank.
Wow never thought it could happen that fast.. Was this with regular weekly water changes?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
bmweiler09 said:
I think you misunderstood my question lol. :wink: I dropped a brand new pad in my main tank filter, and Im wondering how long it will take for that new pad to aquire some bacteria.
I understood. I was just trying to make the point that in an established tank it shouldn't matter, so long as you didn't replace all of the media.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts