Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been touched on somewhere below, but I was not able to locate the information. I currently have a 60 g 48x12x30 with 25 mbuna. I have been running the tank with fish for approximately 30 days. Water quality is excellent. Frequent water changes etc. 2 Eheim Pro+4 350's. 2 Wave makers, lots of water movement/oxygen.

I just hung a Penguin 200 on the back in hopes of establishing some bio media to seed a new 75 gallon tank. Right now I just have the regular filter on there, but I have purchased some bio home media to put in the back of the penguin. My plan is to then move the media to my FX5 when I start the new tank. My questions are:

1) How long will it take to establish the bacteria in the Penguin?

2) Once I move the media to the FX5, will that be sufficient to jump start the new 75 gallon tank?

Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
If the Penguin is completely full of bio media and is fully established before you move the media into the FX5 I would guess that you will probably be OK. I would just keep an eye on ammonia in the 75 gallon for a day or two just to make sure it doesn't spike. Also, any new media added to the FX5 should established pretty quick. Its impossible to say how long it takes for new media to fully establish in an existing/seeded tank but from my experience assume a week or so.

FYI 25 adult Mbuna is a very heavy bio load even for a 75 gallon, let alone a 60. I have 19 fish in my 75, 3 are still juvies and the rest are adults, and there is no way I would add more.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I would wait 2 weeks. Also compare the bioload of the established tank to the bioload of the new tank to guess whether the penguin will be sufficient.

If you have 15 adults in established tank and plan 7 adults in new tank I would expect no cycle. Just as an example.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I plan on splitting the 25 between the two tanks more a less, with a few additions and subtractions to get the right mix of species and sex.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I would split them and then wait a month. If your test results are good, then you can add.

I would not exceed 3 species at 15 fish in the 48x12. And 4 species with 20 fish in the 48x18.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
I would split them and then wait a month. If your test results are good, then you can add.

I would not exceed 3 species at 15 fish in the 48x12. And 4 species with 20 fish in the 48x18.
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts