Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of starting over in my 125gal with juvie fish... do you see any potential problems with this mix?

6 placidochromis phenochilus

the following male peacocks:
1 sunshine peacock
1 ruben red peacock
1 blue neon peacock
1 blue orchid peacock
1 ruby crystal peacock (a lighter form of dragonblood p/c)

3 blue dolphins (c. moori)

2 c. rhoadesi (I know they get big, but they are so pretty when small too!-when they get too big I'll have to trade them in at the LFS)

3 protomelas spilonotus

4 red cap lethrinops

4-5 yellow labs (for color and to help keep the others out more)

1 pund.nyererei

maybe some yellowtailed acei

and then I'm unsure what else.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It depends on whether you plan on raising fry or not. The potential crossbreeding issues would be the phenochilus and moori, and the peacocks and lethrinops in my opinion.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fogelhund said:
It depends on whether you plan on raising fry or not. The potential crossbreeding issues would be the phenochilus and moori, and the peacocks and lethrinops in my opinion.
I was not planning to raise any fry from these if there was a chance of crossing - which apparently there IS :wink: So unless I actually SEE the spawning going on and pull the female immediately, I'll do what Chunk suggests and let nature take its course.

Thanks so much both of you!

PS: the one I was most worried about was the pund. nyere... but sounds like as long as he's the only one, it'll be ok? and will the male peacocks harass the other female fish enough to kill them? I guess I'm asking if I will need to remove the other female species in there once I can tell they are girls...

·
Registered
623 Posts
In my experience, peacocks arnt as aggressive as mbuna my females are larger than my males as of right now. I would say not really, sure there will be some chasing but once they figure out the pecking order should be alright. I would just wait and see but I think it will be okay. I think most people remove peacock females just simply because they're unwanted.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
beachtan said:
Fogelhund said:
I was not planning to raise any fry from these if there was a chance of crossing - which apparently there IS :wink: So unless I actually SEE the spawning going on and pull the female immediately, I'll do what Chunk suggests and let nature take its course.

Thanks so much both of you!

PS: the one I was most worried about was the pund. nyere... but sounds like as long as he's the only one, it'll be ok? and will the male peacocks harass the other female fish enough to kill them? I guess I'm asking if I will need to remove the other female species in there once I can tell they are girls...
Most of the Peacocks should be fine. The hybrid peacocks are hit and miss, sometimes they can be quite aggressive, so that is one for you to keep an eye on.

Regarding the nyererei, if it is dominant, it will be very colourful BUT very aggressive. If it isn't dominant, it will be drab and not worth keeping. Personally, I wouldn't bother with this fish, with your mix.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new additional question - I have a few frontosa's that will be outgrowing their tank. I had planned to sell them at this point, but am attached to them now. Could I add the 6 fronts (5") to this 125? and maybe an adult male black calvus or two? the calvus are fighting in their breeding tank... - i have too many males... :-?

maybe I just need to set up another 125gal!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
if that nyererei is anything like my male tomato, they're extremely aggressive. i keep a species tank of them for this reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts