Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 20 Gallon tank is just about cycled and I have been thinking about stocking it with L. ocellatus and J. transcriptus which I think will be an awesome tank. I just want to know if I am missing something before I commit. Any thoughts on similar setups of a shell dweller and rock dweller that work well together gow about Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps. Am I just asking for trouble? Should I just go for a single species of shell dweller in the tank and a pleco?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You don't say what size 20, but Ill assume a 20L. It can work if aquascaped properly, and a limited number of each species. But, it'll be a bit challenging too. Depends what you're up for. You'll only get one pair/trio of juli's and one harem of occies, so you will have some issues while those are forming. You'll have juli rejects and even a male occie may not accept any females at first, so they'll need some cover. But, that cover will be juli territory. I'd make sure I had spare tanks to work with, so you can easily intervene and rehome. Not trying to discourage you, as this is part of what I like to do, but others may not want to deal with it, and just want something easy with high probabilitiy for success. Start wth very young fish, if you can, but aggression starts early in these species IME. I like occies on their own because you can get some fry survival and grow out. If this is a 20H, then I'd stick to one species.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If it was me personally I would substitute the occies for another shell dweller. Occies seem notorious for breaking up and males killing their females from what I have read on this forum.

I had a multi- J transcriptus tank in a 30 breeder that I enjoyed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the tank is a dreaded 20H looks like there is just not enough length for everyone to be happy. I am not really looking for a deathmatch though I have made other setups work with SA cichlids. So one species for sure I guess- could the uper part of the tank work for danios or the like- suggestions?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I second what prov356 said. I have a 20L and part of me still wishes I bought less ocellatus and added a julie pair and at least attempted it. I can see now how it'd be a challenge but if you got it to work it'd be a great tank.

However the ocellatus are seriously aggressive fish and that aggression kicks up to a whole new level when they are spawning or defending fry. My tank is just nuts right now with 3 shells with fry swimming and 1 full of eggs.

I have had 1 confirmed suicidal jumper and 1 suicide attempt within the past 12 hours. The dominant male is driving out everything in the tank that looks at him, his fry, or his ladies funny. With him having a 3 females all with fry or eggs he has claimed the whole tank.

I'm sure my one attempted suicide is going to end up beaten to death within a day.

By way of fyi and what I did... I ordered 8 pearly ocellatus knowing I was over stocking. 1 was doa (pinned out of water in the shipping bag), 1 was crispy this morning behind my tank, and another attempted escape while I was rinsing out my coffee cup. If I hadn't been there he'd be toast and I'd be down to 5 mature fish.

My tank has had fish for just about 3 weeks now.

edit: A 20H? Yeah stick with one species.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I"ve read that a male ocellatus in the wild will defend an area up to 2 meters around, and will have multiple females within it. So, that's why working this out in the relatively small confines of an aquarium can be challenging. Plus, no where for rejects to run and hide. Rock piles worked for me though. Out of sight was out of mind.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew my gut was telling me something. On the positive side I guess that give me some more dough to use on one species. L. ocellatus is cool. How about L. ornapinnis or one of the others for a species tank. Bummerdotbomb about the jumpers and crispers.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I've got ornatipinnis and wasn't sure about them at first, but I'm really starting to like them. I watched a male displaying yesterday, and it was impressive. I think the pairing up has started. I've got to try to get a pic. Not sure if it was just the lighting, but his dorsal seemed to have a hint of orange.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
prov356
Yeah they do look super cool a little different in behavior- correct? Looks like I may have to look into the shell dweller species some more...

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
podenbeck said:
prov356
Yeah they do look super cool a little different in behavior- correct?
It's early to tell, but so far seem more tolerant of each other. When the breeding starts, I'll know. That's the thing with occies, I had them in 42" one time, and was lucky to manage two males to cohabitate. If I can get more ornatipinnis males to be ok together, that'll make a nice tank to watch.

·
Registered
509 Posts
podenbeck said:
Bummer dotbomb about the jumpers and crispers.
Yeah, it happens though. Especially with an amped up male trying to raise about 60 fry :?

If I want more fish all I have to do is isolate some fry :thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I am glad that I spared myself the embarresment of getting two species. Looks like Pearly Ocellatus, Gold Ocellatus or ornatipinnis. Brevis sunspot could be cool too.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
When I got home tonight, I found I have ornatipinnis fry. The male owns half the tank and looks like he's got a second female besides the one he spawned with. I've got what looks like another couple in the other half of the tank. Definitely not as aggressive as ocellatus. Male occies would chase down others for a longer distance and push rivals up into the corners of the tank. Looks like ornatipinnis will do better in smaller confines than ocellatus from what I'm seeing so far. This tank has a 42 x 10 footprint, btw.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very interesting. Now I really am gonna have consider my options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts