Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water is pretty soft out of the tap, so for my African tanks (one mbuna, and one hap/peacock) I've been using Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt and Seachem Malawi/Victoria Buffer. I've also got crushed coral jammed into both filters on both tanks. The pH and KH are good, but the GH - while raised from what it is out of the tap - is not as high as I'd like it. I'm adding a little more than the directed amount of the cichlid lake salt each water change, but because it's salt I'm hesitant to just add it willy nilly above what is directed to up it. Tested today, it's sitting at 140 ppm - slightly hard, but not as hard as it *should* be for Malawis. Looking at other ways to raise just the GH since the other values are where they need to be, and am looking at Seachem Replenish as it claims to raise GH only. Anyone know if I'm okay to use the Replenish in addition to the Cichlid Lake Salt?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I also use Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt but I use much more epsom salt, to increase my water's GH from 0 to 14dGH = 250ppm. I do this since I change such a large amount, over 500 gallons in my tanks each week.

·
Super Moderator
40,698 Posts
You tinker with amounts in a measured bucket and test all parameters...not just GH. While I do like to keep pH close to natural lake levels (which vary more than people think), as long as GH and KH are high enough to keep pH stable, I don't worry about getting every test result perfectly matching the lake. Search for posts by BK in SK to find push back on what we perceive as ideal parameters in the lake.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am measuring other parameters, hence my knowing that the pH and KH are good. These are tank raised fish, so I'm certainly not aiming for exactly the same as Lake Malawi parameters, but I do like to aim for as close as possible. 140ppm on the GH while the pH is at 8.0 and the KH is at 120ppm - well above the scale that the API test kit even lists for KH - is a bit more out of whack that it should be, no?

·
Registered
653 Posts
DJRansome said:
You tinker with amounts in a measured bucket and test all parameters...not just GH. While I do like to keep pH close to natural lake levels (which vary more than people think), as long as GH and KH are high enough to keep pH stable, I don't worry about getting every test result perfectly matching the lake. Search for posts by BK in SK to find push back on what we perceive as ideal parameters in the lake.
+1.

Though I prefer to increase my water's GH to 14dGH, pH to 8.4 (the ceiling for baking soda), and KH to 8, for my Frontosa, a little lower on these would also be fine. Your parameters should be fine as is, unless you are trying to reach higher parameters for a specific purpose (ex/ breeding) in your Tanganyikan tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.