Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it supposed th o stink! I'm new to prime, untill recent I've used seachem chloroguard which has no noticable smell at all. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in the uk any more. My bottle of prime really does stink, should I be keeping it in the fridge?

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
It is normal that Prime stinks and no need to refrigerate it. Some bottles smell worse than others.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It stinks and I hate it. There are many other brands of dechlorinator that you can find, I'm sure. Keep the Prime in case you get an ammonia spike.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
It stinks but only if you go smelling it. : )
P.S, Don't get it on your clothes as it will stain.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
If the smell of the liquid version is so disagreeable, you may want to try the powered type - Seachem Safe.

And a handy video from Bay Area Aquatics describes the two products,

I use Safe because I'm cheap, and those little bottles of Safe last a huge amount longer than Prime does. So, if the liquid smell is REALLY bothering you, and If you have a lot of gallons to treat? Safe could be what you need. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I wouldn't say the smell is really bothering me, just an observation. I'll have a look at the powdered form especially if it lasts longer, I have 850 litres to deal with!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Safe is the way to go. I get the 4kg bucket and yes every time I open it the smell is noticeable.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've always used Kordon NovAqua Plus. It's flawless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.