Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I got a great deal on this tank ($50) but it has been used for reptiles. Tank needs to be resealed (no biggie) but what should I use to clean it with? IDK if reptiles leave chemicals and what not behind . . .

·
Registered
332 Posts
Was it sold originally as an aquarium?

I believe I have read that reptile aquariums are not built to be able to hold water (thinner glass, no bracing, etc.). This would become more of a problem on a larger tank with more water weight. I'd fill it outside after you reseal first to be safe.

As for chemicals, I can't think of anything off the top of my head but I know very little about reptiles.

I clean tanks with an ammonia solution and then make sure I wash thoroughly afterward, never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That is correct if it is a reptile tank you better be careful. Also it may hold water in the beginning and could give out later.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Assuming it can be used to hold water, scrub down with water/bleach, soak up remaining liquids, let dry. You'll be resealing so any chlorine will be well evaporated by the time any water goes in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gnomemagi said:
Was it sold originally as an aquarium?

As for chemicals, I can't think of anything off the top of my head but I know very little about reptiles.

I clean tanks with an ammonia solution and then make sure I wash thoroughly afterward, never had any problems.
yes, originally a fish tank, when it sprung a leak, it was used to house a beardy

I like the idea of the bleach solution GTZ, I've been reading about the uses for vinegar on this forum as well, was thinking that would work too, especially if there are mild hard water stains, what do you think?

BTW: thx for the replies and your suggestions, I'm very excited to get this tank!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Vinegar will definitely work better than bleach for hard water stains.
Soak paper towel and stick it to the glass for a few hours to keep the surface wet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! I am so excited to get this tank! thx a bunch :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can you lift the tank by yourself? If it's aquarium-thickness glass, it should be so heavy that you have trouble lifting it up. (unless you're a body-builder). If it's lighter, I would be suspicious

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, not a bodybuilder but do manage 100lb bales of hay on a regular basis, lol, and that sucker is heavier than a dead bear!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is and still has the "All Glass Aquarium" sticker on the bottom :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After removing all the reptile sand yesterday, it also has a sticker on the bottom that says "tempered glass do not drill" Glass is also very thick, so I think I'm good to go, thx for all the help :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good luch HH, I'm excited for you....Post pics of the results..please...looking forward..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dmpjr said:
Good luch HH, I'm excited for you....Post pics of the results..please...looking forward..
Thx, for the time being, it is outside until my income tax comes in the next couple of weeks, I think I'm gonna do a 3D BG and it needs a hood, gotta measure everything and get the glass cut, lights, and of course everything to house the guys going in it, I have finally found some Ruziba's and some Sibwesa's! This is going to my show tank, so keep and eye on this thread!
:drooling:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts