Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20181205_192248.jpg
Okay serious question - scratch or crack?

I've been away for 3 days and came home to this. It wasn't there when I left. It can be felt with a fingertip/ fingernail on the outside of the tank, but not at all on the inside. 75gallon.

I do have a super curious cat who has been up around the tank lately. I had blocked her usual access point while we were away, so I'm thinking she may have tried to launch herself in that direction and missed and scratched the outside. Or maybe I'm grasping at straws and it's a crack.

Tank is flush on all 4 corners and level, but there's a small space between the tank and stand in the middle, about 6". Less than 1/8", Marineland said not to worry about it, but of course now I am.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
I highly doubt the 'scratch' was caused by your cat so eliminate that possibility.

When I enlarge your pic, it appears the right side of the 'scratch' is traveling downward a bit which makes it appear more like an actual crack that is starting to run but it is difficult to actually tell. You can use a Sharpie or other marker to mark each end to see if it continues to travel and if so, you should replace the tank.

Usually marks similar to yours are either leftover silicone which are raised and easily removed OR caused by items such as rocks though that usually happens inside the tank and aren't usually a problem.

If it was my tank, I'd monitor the 'scratch' for a few days and see if it changes at all.

On 2nd thought after another look at the pic enlarged, it appears the left side of the 'scratch' goes all the way to the left side of the pic. If this is true, it is probably a crack. It's difficult to see the left side of the 'scratch' so maybe another pic would be helpful.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd say crack, when enlarged you can see the light reflecting off of it do to it's being "in" the glass; scratches are on the surface and do not light up like your's is doing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you don't mind, I have a similar issue and thought to use this thread rather than make another. Mine is on the inside of my tank and I can feel it when I run my finger along it. I have nicks and scratches all over from rocks and probably algae scrubbing and sand getting caught between the scrubber. This "scratch" really caught my eye though.

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
SpotlessUnicorn said:
Okay serious question - scratch or crack?

I've been away for 3 days and came home to this. It wasn't there when I left. It can be felt with a fingertip/ fingernail on the outside of the tank, but not at all on the inside. 75gallon.

I do have a super curious cat who has been up around the tank lately. I had blocked her usual access point while we were away, so I'm thinking she may have tried to launch herself in that direction and missed and scratched the outside. Or maybe I'm grasping at straws and it's a crack.

Tank is flush on all 4 corners and level, but there's a small space between the tank and stand in the middle, about 6". Less than 1/8", Marineland said not to worry about it, but of course now I am.

Thoughts?
What you have there is a scratch. Only if the cat knocked something over could he be the cause.

·
Registered
767 Posts
morrismorris said:
If you don't mind, I have a similar issue and thought to use this thread rather than make another. Mine is on the inside of my tank and I can feel it when I run my finger along it. I have nicks and scratches all over from rocks and probably algae scrubbing and sand getting caught between the scrubber. This "scratch" really caught my eye though.
These too are scratches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.