Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started out about 14mos ago without knowing much about cichlids, this was sold to me as a Sciaenochromis Fryeri. Is it so? When I first got it, it did not have much of the yellow. it was more like an electric blue. Now I can't say it looks like any of the pics of the Fryeri.

·
Registered
46 Posts
same here except mine was under the other (previous name) hap ahli electric blue, dark was dark in the lfs I didn't notice the amount of yellow til he was in my tank w/better lighting.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Fogelhund said:
The fish pictured is a hybrid.
i would agree, i noticed the local petsmart had some with the yellow tint a few months ago. a real fryeri should have an orange anal fin and a white blaze.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fogelhund said:
The fish pictured is a hybrid.
Thanks. That's what I thought.

Do you think it would fight with the Bi-Color if I put them together?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quite possibly as they are similar in colouration.

Your hybrid looks quite 'peacock' too, but as with hybrids you can't be sure.

If you want to try I'd suggest rearranging the tank as you do to break up territories and introduce more than just one fish if that is possible. Then it's just a case of whether they decide to put with each other. So do it at a time when you can watch them closely for a number of hours afterwards to avoid any real catastrophes.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
james1983 said:
a real fryeri should have an orange anal fin and a white blaze.
That really depends on the original collection location... not all have the orange anal fin, or a white blaze.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts