Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tank with Sciaenochromis fryeri (5 male & 3 female - I know not a good ratio but they get along well) and have had a female holding 3 times but each time after after a few days spits out her eggs or eats them as I haven't seen how she disposes of them. Why would she hold for a few days & then give up. Is it that they are not properly fertilized? Is this common?
Jim

·
Super Moderator
40,544 Posts
Maybe the excess males are harassing her. No I don't think it is common for her to spit eggs three times in a tank with mature males.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would have to agree with DJRonsome...way too many males...I am surprised they haven't killed each other to be honest.

All of the males will be trying to get with the females and the constant harassing will cause her to spit the eggs...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insights. What would you recommend as the best ratio male /female? I have 5 male 3 female. Should I remove two or three males make it a 3 male / 3 female or 2 male/ 3 female ratio?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I think going down to 1 male 3 females is going to give you the best long-term success as far as a breeding setup.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The same thing has happened to the fryeri couple in my tank. They happily spawned a few weeks ago (I made a thread about it) for the second time, and for the second time she either spit or swallowed them after 3 or 4 days. Anyone know why?

If I hi-jacked the thread.. sorrrrry :oops:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK - so she has been holding for approx 18 or 19 days. Is it too early to strip her at this point to ensure I get the fry into a new tank?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You can strip as early as you want, but people that do wait, IIRC usually strip around day 18.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Don't haps have a longer gestation period?
Course, in your case I'd strip as soon as I think they're fry (not sure I'd strip if they're just wrigglers; fry+egg sac).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.