Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am currently raising 15 or so young Fryeri together in a 46 gal tank.

I would like to keep the best looking male and 3 females, however since they all roughly still look the same and only a few are starting to show some blue its very difficult to determine sexes.

They are currently around 3 to 4 inches at roughly 1 to 1.5 years old

My second problem is which male is the best? When they all roughly look the same what would be a deciding factor? Most egg spots? most blue? largest?

Should I just pick the largest?

I have noticed that only 2 of the fish really have a nice pointed anal fin, would that be a sign of a dominant male? or have the others just not had theirs grown in.

Another problem I seem to be facing is that they all lack blue....there are one or two fish that have a faded blue starting to come in around their heads, but should they not be much more blue in color by now? Is it something I am doing wrong?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If you really want to get the "best" stock possible from your fry, pull the largest/most colorful male and put him in his own tank. Then as the next one colors up, pull him and do the same (another tank). Do that for as many as you have space for. The "best" will likely be one of the first 3-4 you pull.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
At 3" it should be obvious male from female. Female Sci Fry are grey/silver - not the strong blue of the males.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glaneon said:
At 3" it should be obvious male from female. Female Sci Fry are grey/silver - not the strong blue of the males.
Yeah I wish, but I once read that very few females are produced...I thought 75% or so of the fry are to be males, I have sold off a few over the past few months and am down to 14 or so...but as I said only a few are starting to show color

I have removed 2 males to separate tanks, the largest 2 (mainly in fear that they would eat the others) they are now over 4 inches and barely show any blue color to them at all. The yellow labs in the tanks with them all seem happy and healthy, yet the electric blues are lacking some serious color

Its not just one batch of fry either, there were 2 mixed in together over the year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another Question:

I have noticed some aggression between what I am going to assume are two males in the group of 10 fryeri. They chase each other in a circle, and will sometimes even lip lock, very noticeable dark baring on their sides. They are also starting to show some blue on their heads. Could I start removing the ones who color up in 46gallon into the 55gallon tank with the largest 2 fryeri and the yellow labs. This would only be temporary until I can find out who the females are in the 46gallon? I will assume they are being aggressive because there are females in the tank somewhere I just cant tell yet.

Just to clarify I have 2 tanks running with Fryeri in them

55gallon with largest 2 fryeri (4-5inches) and a few yellow labs (loaded tank with tons of rocks)
46gallon with 10 smaller fryeri (2-4inches) (bare tank with a few flower pots)

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Don't know whether 2 male fryeri will be happy in a 55G. The way I usually do it is wait until females are holding if I am trying to ID females.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I wish I could wait until females are holding however I am afraid that the males will tear each other apart before then...One of the smaller fish disappeared over the weekend...thats why I have 3 tanks with different sizes.

I figured it would be better to have an all male tank of fryeri and then eventually pick the best male and sell the rest, then introduce the one male to the 3 or 4 females once I find them intermixed somewhere in the 46gallon.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I'm very surprised that you have so little color. You should have one male in full blue, while other some males should be obvious. Heck, from this point alone makes me wonder if this is a good breeding group to start with.

The dominant alpha male may not be the best potential looking, some junior fish may be much nicer.

Body shape is important. Pick males that have a more lean torpedo shape, not a Peacock shape.

Most important, by far and away, is pure fish...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well its confusing because the father was one of the most stunning fish that I have ever seen...

I use multiple types of foods...water quality is always good

I am just going to have to pick one I guess and sell off the rest as I am running out of room waiting for these guys to color up

·
Registered
133 Posts
that is weird you should have at lest 1 full colourd male at that age(size) i have had mine full colourd from like 2inch and he is not even close to the dom in my tank. to much light??? maybe washing colur out?? i dunno good luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just have simple stock hood over the growout tank, (so no fancy bright lights) one tank has a dark substrate and the other is bare

1 - 12 of 12 Posts