Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few days my fish are extremely scared of me for no reason. Whenever I go to feed them they all go into their caves then after I walk away they will pick the food up. There is 0 aggression and I'm pretty sure everything is good all I can test for is ph though. Could it be the tank I have below it is casting a weird reflection of me or something I just find it weird that they just suddenly spas when they see me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup been at 78 for 6 months now lol btw to poor for a test kit ATM :oops:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Take your water to a LFS for testing then. They do it for free.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have seen this in my tank (last year) and I never figured it out. For some reason they just acted real jumpy. After a week or so they got over it. If you have recently added or reintroduced any fish, then that could explain it. I think it only takes one or two fish running for cover to spark a stampede.

RE: Test Kit: There are several great DIY articles in the library for things like egg tumblers and water buffers. We need some really cheap and accessible alternatives to the typical aquarium test kits.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pack-rat said:
I have seen this in my tank (last year) and I never figured it out. For some reason they just acted real jumpy. After a week or so they got over it. If you have recently added or reintroduced any fish, then that could explain it. I think it only takes one or two fish running for cover to spark a stampede.

RE: Test Kit: There are several great DIY articles in the library for things like egg tumblers and water buffers. We need some really cheap and accessible alternatives to the typical aquarium test kits.
It's really strange if it doesn't get better they are going to die or atleast they make it seem that way. If they do die I guess I just have to get hara but I'm sure I'd have to wait a few months to get those. Sad how I have a frontosa in there and he's the only one acting normal when he shouldn't even be with mbuna.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dotbomb said:
No lfs around tbh lol all I have is a Petsmart. All the lfs around me go out of business in like a year

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rgr4475 said:
Same thing happend in my mbuna tank as well for no apparent reason. I lasted for a couple of months. My complete water parameters were fine and I never did figure out the reason.
Did any of them die or did breeding stop ect? Mine are constantly trying to breed but he females keep rejecting so the male just swims off. Depressed lol.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
II25tolifeII said:
rgr4475 said:
Same thing happend in my mbuna tank as well for no apparent reason. I lasted for a couple of months. My complete water parameters were fine and I never did figure out the reason.
Did any of them die or did breeding stop ect? Mine are constantly trying to breed but he females keep rejecting so the male just swims off. Depressed lol.
No deaths but I don't remember about breeding since I usually let them spit in the tank.

·
Registered
441 Posts
In my experience your fish are reacting to sudden movements which make them uncomfotable.

I have seen this behavior many times before,try to keep the foot traffic around your tanks low if possible and remeber that moving quickly may also startle them.

I also notice in the morning my mbuna are much more shy than they are in the evenings.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rgr4475 said:
II25tolifeII said:
rgr4475 said:
No deaths but I don't remember about breeding since I usually let them spit in the tank.
Ohh I raise every fry i possibly can lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
II25tolifeII said:
dotbomb said:
No lfs around tbh lol all I have is a Petsmart. All the lfs around me go out of business in like a year
Petsmart tests water too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
master chi said:
In my experience your fish are reacting to sudden movements which make them uncomfotable.

I have seen this behavior many times before,try to keep the foot traffic around your tanks low if possible and remeber that moving quickly may also startle them.

I also notice in the morning my mbuna are much more shy than they are in the evenings.
I never made a quick sudden movement when feeding them they never acted like his in 6 months now they are acting all weird

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dotbomb said:
II25tolifeII said:
dotbomb said:
Petsmart tests water too.
Didn't know that I may just have to take a trip down there and get it tested

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully it's breeding aggression I'll check them tomorrow can't wait to get a summer job when I get out of school to support my fish addiction first thing I'll buy is a test kit lol. Then maybe a few more tanks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mine did this for a week after a large family gathering. Normality and routine have them out and about like crazy right now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They seem normal again it lasted about a week hopefully they don't go back

1 - 19 of 19 Posts