Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have my Dovii for one week now. So far he's pretty shy and hide most of the day, he also rarely come out to eat, he do come out more often during the night when the light is off. How long would it take for him to adapt to his new environment?

He's about 5 inch's and there are a few giant danios in the tank as dither fish, he did manage to kill 2 and i'm guessing eat one during the night.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just give him time, he'll get used to everything. Sometimes it takes them awhile to adapt to stuff. And get used to losing dithers, my jag has eaten 8 giant danios and he also ate 3 blue guarmis as well. If ya want your dithers to live then ya might wanna think about investing in some sort of night light or night time LED lights.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My Dovi is cautious and I have had him for almost 3 years.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm a big advocate of dithers....but only appropriate ones. Giant danios aren't dithers for a large piscivore; they are fast moving feeders. Appropriate dithers would be larger fish; tinfoil barbs, T-barbs, silver dollars, Bala sharks, etc.

Of course you would need a HUGE tank for a school of appropriate dithers and a male Dovii.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sometime they don't become bold and brave till 8"+. One reason is, even though they're top predators when matured they themselves do get prayed upon when young. For now just let it get use to it's new surroundings.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After another week, he's less scared when i approach the tank and he spend more time swimming in the open.

But now i have another issue, he wouldn't really eat any pellets, so far he mostly eat dried plankton and krill. Can he live a healthy life just with dried plankton and krill?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still trying to feed him pellet, didn't give him any dried krill this week but he did get one of dither fish. He's starting to put pellets in his mouth but he spill it out, he should be hungry now Hehe

·
Registered
705 Posts
try adding the pellets to like a shotglass of tank water. let them soften up a bit and he'll probably take em. my fish dont like em cuz they have to juggle em in thier mouths for a few minutes prior to consumption. well gl to ya

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still not eating pellet this week. But he did eat 2 dither in the last 5 days. Must resist the temptation of giving him dried krill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts