Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my dominant male yellow lab fighting with another yellow lab male. It was the first time i have seen it. No damage was done, they kinda bit lips, then let go and did that a few times. I fed them to distract them and it worked for fight now.

So now what? Do I have to remove one of them now or will one back down?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay. I wasnt sure how serious this was and didn't want to wake up to any dead fish.

Thanks.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
If there isn't any real damage, it isn't serious for now. These fish will constantly posture for dominance, sometimes it gets a bit physical, sometimes more serious.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would add more rocks to form new territory if that doesnt work add a single aggressive male msobo or chipokae they will put the lab males in check

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
If the fish are not lip locking, they aren't healthy, LOL. Totally normal, as stated, only if there is damage should you be concerned. Enjoy their antics. :thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
poseidons minions said:
I would add more rocks to form new territory if that doesnt work add a single aggressive male msobo or chipokae they will put the lab males in check
If a msobo was added, it would breed with the female labs creating hybrids :( msobo females are very similiar looking to yellow labs

·
Registered
169 Posts
zoie said:
So now what? Do I have to remove one of them now or will one back down?
I agree that there is no rush, as long as nobody is really getting hurt. Some abrading of the skin around the lips seems to be typical but it heals up.

When my labs started to mature I realized I had 3 males. :roll: But watching the fights and the chasing was great fun. Over a few months, all three fish spent time as the dom male, and at least two of them spawned with the females during this time. Last month I decided it was time to remove some fish so I chose the one with the best color and black markings and sent the other two back to the LFS that sold them to me. :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts