Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We received a good number of these guys in the mail from a vendor purchased as saulosi. I'm guessing saulosi was misheard as chailosi... We ordered vial email, so the confusion must have been at the vendor facility. All fish are barred and pale yellow. Maybe 1.5" long. Some having the blue face like below.

That said, we are going to be restocking our 135 with mbuna. Current anticipated list:
Msobo
Maingano
Chilumba (Luwino Reef)
Yellow tail acei

I had intended to pick another species or two. Maybe something white? Still not sure on that.

Anyway, I know the Luwino Reef are going to dislike other fish with bars. Has anyone ever kept a similar combo to luwino and chailosi in a 6' tank? We don't really have a place to put the suspected chailosi, and we were shipped a bunch... The intent was a fresh batch of saulosi for a species tank, along with a couple other species that are headed into the 135 eventually. Hopefully they are going to resend some saulosi.

Anyone ever keep a chailosi species tank? Sounds lame without multiple males.

Thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
210 Posts
For aggression you can either have just one male basically, or else saturate similar types. I would never keep mbuna that way, just haps and peacocks. If you have a couple males in a giant tank it's just not worth it. If you go the other way and have multiple species with several males each, then having similar species around will actually help you. I have had kenyi and demasoni and red top zebras all in the same tank with many males so it's definitely doable. You have to make sure they are all of the same basic toughness though.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never kept chailosi. I just didn't know if the could coexist with multiple males or not in a species type setup. They are reported to be mildly aggressive on their profile, but they are an elongatus. That seems a bit conterintuitive. I'm stocking a relatively tough 6' tank.

So the question would be, would you (or have you) tried similar to chailosi and chilumba (luwino reef) in the same larger (6'x18") tank, assuming one male each. Or, has anyone had any luck in a smaller species tank (say 4'x12") with 3+ chailosi males and a plethora of females. I'm doubting the latter, but who knows, hah.

Most importantly, does that look like chailosi? Just a guess... definitely doesn't look like saulosi.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
That looks like good Chailosi. Do they actually have Saulosi? Get precise answers about how they will resolve this (send Saulosi? credit? refund?) or they may hope you will just let it go if you don't push them.

Chilumba (Luwino Reef) always seemed kinda mellow IMO but still get a little bigger so they are not wimpy either. The Chailosi might be okay but a male may not color up much in a tank with the Chilumba and Msobo, both Metriaclima. If Chailosi is really considered Metriaclima/ Maylandia in the end (actually the Chailosi has more of a Cynotilapia look) you would have three fish from the same genus... not ideal. If you wanted to try, I guess it depends on how you end up. You could try real Johanni (yellow and black) instead of Msobo and Maingano.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad for the confirmation on chailosi. It crossed my mind when I saw them, and then we looked at pictures... It seemed pretty evident, especially since the names are quite similar. We ordered via email, and saulosi was mentioned several times, so I believe it was just confusion at some point during preparation for shipment. The owner is currently out of the country for the rest of the week, but I've been on top of it. I've ordered from them before, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm hoping they just ship us the correct fish, which seems fair given it was a mixup, no fault in transport, etc.

That's curious about the Chilumba. I had seen many list them as pretty mean, but I see them in tanks with other barred fish all the time. Our main attraction to them was actually an exhibit at the Omaha Zoo that showcased the species living in massive numbers with males everywhere. It was an in ground display, so viewed from overhead. Super cool, but definitely bigger than a 6' tank.

Anyway, the msobo and maingano were in the same shipment with the chailosi, so no swapping those. Msobo are some of our favorite fish, so we really wanted them. My main concern was the msobo and maingano male rather than the Met. Chilumba, even given the genus, but I've seen the msobo/maingano combo done with some success around the forum. The chailosi is a real curve ball though. I haven't sourced the luwino reef yet, so I may let the chailosi hang around for the time being. The luwino were the "centerpiece" fish we were attempting to stock around though, so they are going to take precedence if it comes down to choosing one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts