Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a forty gallon tank with five young (2 inches long) Pseudotropheus Saulosi in it, and nothing else.

I would like to know if it is possible to add a Frontosa (1 inch long) to this tank without there being problems when they all get bigger?

Thank you in advance.

Marco polo

·
Registered
625 Posts
Fronts get too big (15") for a 40 gallon. It's not a big rule everyone tells you, but what I like to do is only get fish that mature at half or less than half the width of my tank. Now that isn't a standalone rule and many other factors come into play but it gets you into the right ballpark all else equal.

What about adding more saulosi? Or have you looked at rusty? That is another really peaceful species that could work in a 40 with saulosi.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Rusties are also a bit too big for a 40. I'd stick to dwarf species. You could add more Saulosi... Demasoni, another dwarf species, is also blue-barred like your Saulosi male, so I don't know that I'd mix them (but maybe someone who has kept them together will chime in).

FYI, most Fronts won't get 15 inches, but 12 is possible :lol: SO definitely too big, and too shy to be housed with Lake Malawi species (though I know a lot of people do). As far as I know, Fronts should be kept with species from their lake (like Calvus).

·
Registered
625 Posts
Rusties are a dwarf species, they max at 4". Here is a thread from 2 years ago that has a nice list. I'd consider any of those doable as long as they weren't conspecific with saulosi.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
toume said:
Rusties are also a bit too big for a 40. I'd stick to dwarf species. You could add more Saulosi... Demasoni, another dwarf species, is also blue-barred like your Saulosi male, so I don't know that I'd mix them (but maybe someone who has kept them together will chime in).

FYI, most Fronts won't get 15 inches, but 12 is possible :lol: SO definitely too big, and too shy to be housed with Lake Malawi species (though I know a lot of people do). As far as I know, Fronts should be kept with species from their lake (like Calvus).
demasoni and saulosi shouldn't mix.

Most male fronts should get to 12-15", but it takes time.

Fronts can easily kept with large Malawian Haps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Fronts should be kept in a minimum of 75 gallon and that really is pushing it. 125 gal is a good starting point.

Aside from that, Fronts should be kept with Fronts and very little else (perhaps loachs, cats, plecs). Group of 8 is a nice amount if you can get a 2m/6f set up. I always like the idea of having a dominant male and a secondary male, won't tend to get any great aggression if top fish knows that's where he is already.

Fronts really are a tank choice; not a community fish. A lone Front will be a VERY unhappy fish. Don't do it, don't listen to the LFS staff who say it wl be fine. If you dedicate them a tank, you will experience something special but until you want to do that, don't go with Fronts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts