Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at putting together a Saulosi tank. I've tried to read up as much as possible. A lot of what I've read suggests that it's important to get the M/F ratio right or the males get aggressive and stress out the other males and the females. Also, to bring down the aggression, it's good to keep large groups and to overstock. So I've been thinking - if I had an all female tank, they would be relaxed and there would be no need to overstock. Makes sense, no?
The arguments against that I can see. 1) I wouldn't be able to breed them - I'm not worried about that. I've got no where to put other fish anyway. 2) The males are really beautiful - it's true. But the females with their bright yellow colour, are beautiful too. It seems to me to be a small sacrifice to not have a few bright blue males if I'm going to have a relaxed tank.
Question: Would the female's colours not be so bright if there were no males in the tank to impress?

Any thoughts about this?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have found that Mbuna females can be pretty aggressive too. I have some female Kenyi that chase my Labs around and quarrel among themselves.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Also once you have the ratio right, a mixed gender tank is fairly relaxed AND you have the color...best of both worlds.

I would expect females to still have an order of dominance and colors be fairly bright. Try it and report back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
How big is the tank? I found that ratio wasn't such a big deal with Saulosi. So long as you have more females than males, and don't have exactly two males, things should be OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts