Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pseudotropheus saulosi has been holding for 18 days in a 10 gallon by herself. My lights on all my aquariums come on at 4pm and go off at 12am. My question is should i feed the fry at 4pm and 11pm like i do all the rest of my fish? Or do i need to feed them in the morning, noon, then night. Basically is it okay to fast them for 16 hours or do i need to feed them in the actual morning time. Also is it okay to feed mbuna fry baby brine shrimp for the first 2 to 3 weeks then switch to veggie flakes. I ask because baby brine shrimp is high in protein and i dont want to bloat them. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I feed all my fry crushed up NLS pellets. Same as I feed all my Mbuna. I feed my fry twice daily same time as everyone else.

·
Super Moderator
40,390 Posts
Fry is commonly fed 3-4 times daily and the brine shrimp are not necessary. Crushed NLS is good if you don't want to buy special fry food (for raising lots of batches of fry). I use NLS Grow which is smaller and higher protein until they are 1.5 inches including tail.

16 hours is a long fast...most probably try to feed last thing before the fishkeeper goes to sleep and first thing when the fishkeeper awakes, for an 8 hour fast. Then maybe another 8 hour fast while the fishkeeper is at work. Feedings in between.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my saulosi has been holding for 21 days. 1 fry made it out of her mouth and is hiding from her i saw her chasing the fry trying to put him back in her mouth i guess. Should i lift the cave so she can pick him up or leave it alone? its my first time breeding mbuna

·
Super Moderator
40,390 Posts
Leave it. She is in a tank by herself, right? When she opens her mouth to grab the escapee others are likely to escape. She will spit all of them over the next several days most likely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts