Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who breeds lots of Malawi fish, and Today I was given 8 saulosi for free, however I am not sure if they gave me the right fish. So when the saulosi come out of the mothers mouth, are they already bright yellow? All the pics i have seen of Fry look bigger than mine and are BRIGHT yellow, mine are yellowish, but more like a yellow-see through with some light light vertical barring (barely visible) here are some pics of them. The fry are about .5 an inch with the biggest and oldest about 3/4-1 Inch in length

Here is a pic of all 8 of them, kind of lucky to get this pic it took me a while lol

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7900/1004547eu2.jpg

Here is one of the bigger ones, about 3rd in total length

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9504/1004548cv7.jpg

Here is 2 of the smaller ones,

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8065/1004549aa7.jpg

and an update on my 5 original yellow lab fry Released May 20th, i have 2 of them in the tank with the saulosi the rest (3) are in the 29 In the pic is an OB Zebra

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2786/1004550si7.jpg

BTW the tank is a 15 gallon, dimensions 24 x 12 x 12 temp at 79-80

·
Registered
563 Posts
LOoks kinda faded yellow. I am not sure man. Here are my batch of fry
There are a couple of labs in there too..notice the one with black barring

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
They seem a bit more washed out than normal.

This is a picture of a tank of about .75" fry of mine.

From this dad.

and this mom.

My experience has been they're pretty light for about the first day. They then start to turn orange/yellow. The males will begin to lighten at about .5" or so for me because I tended to keep them in groups for 30-40+ when I bred them. It helps the males turn more quickly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe it was just they were in a tank with about 100+ fry in a 55 b4 i got them. Im feeding them flakes right now and now they don't have to fight 100 other fish to eat, maybe that could be it, Ill email the person and ask them how old they are. And to myselfdotcom how old are those fry? Im really thinking its is because they did not eat as much because when i got my yellow lab fry they looked pretty pale and now they are bright yellow.

Edit: I Emailed the person and she said they were between 8-16 weeks, which really makes no since, because than they would be as old if not older than my yellow labs but almost 1/2-1/4 of there size???

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so to clear it up, the yellow labs were 16 weeks old when i bought them, so that makes them at the most twice as old as the new fry

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
All that means is the person kept them in poor conditions. By 2-4 months, they should easily 2-3" long.

With time, they should color up more and look better. Good food and water quality are the two biggest factors in how your fish looks. It looks like for the first 8-16 weeks of their life, they only had one of those at most.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No they had about 20 saulosi fry but they fed 4 times a day about 2 pinches for over 100 fry. Maybe it was not enough to color them up or get them up to size

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mr_Yellow_Shoes said:
No they had about 20 saulosi fry but they fed 4 times a day about 2 pinches for over 100 fry. Maybe it was not enough to color them up or get them up to size
Hard to though...since if is male, yes maybe the males (less dom) will have some pale blue while everyone else stay yellow/orangish

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Mr_Yellow_Shoes said:
It's not the food, but with that many fish and that many feedings in a 55g tank, unless they were doing 50% water changes daily or every other day at worst, it was crappy conditions, IMO.

You might have gottena all males. Hard to say. I bought 6 and all were males. Took me awhile to piece my breeding group together (10 months). Saulosi typically are very male heavy. My group worked out to about 50/50, but I was in the minority.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh ok, I don't know there water change schedule, but about 3 of them have light black striping and the others don't, one looks like it might get them, but its really faint, maybe those would be the males?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts