Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to start my first cichlids tank and I would like to ask for your help. Since two weeks I am reading and watching videos about malawi cichlids.
My tank is 40 gallons and I know that it is small but I won't be able to get a bigger one as I can't fit it in my home. I've asked a friend that have cichlids for years and he suggested that I should be fine if I get 6 saulosi (male and females) and 4 different male peacocks so I can get the most different colors. I should probably look for peaceful and smaller peacocks. I have good filtration - one canister that is 370 gallons per hour and one inside filter 130 g/h.
Can you please let me know what do you think about this fish selection. Should I be fine and avoid aggression? Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I would do just the saulosi. How many depends on the footprint/dimensions.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I would try 3m:9f saulosi. I would not put any peacocks in a 31.5" tank at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
I would try 3m:9f saulosi. I would not put any peacocks in a 31.5" tank at all.
OK, thanks. I guess it would be fine if i add second small type of mbuna and have 1m:5f of each. If yes, what type would you suggest? If not I will just go with only saulosi as suggested.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
I'd stick with the Saulosi only. Here in the States, those dimensions are close to the same footprint of a 20 long or 29 gallon. Just a bit wider. The 31.5" is limiting you. You will have tons of activity and color with that species.

It can be difficult to source quality C. Saulosi nowadays. Try to find nice, pure specimens. They tend to be male heavy. The last batch I bought is looking like 12 or 13 males to 7 or 6 females. These lopsided ratios have been reported by others.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I would have a single species in a 30" tank. Saulosi is the only species I would consider for 12 in a 30" tank...sort of a unique fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts