Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told my Eartheater is both these names Satanoperca leucosticta & Surinanensis Geophagus. Since this forum seems to have quite a few memebers that know fish ID's I thought I'd try to find out if anyone knows the correct name. Or are they one and the same, perhaps?
He was bought as a "Jurapari", but that name seems to cover a lot of ground, too. He's 6" total now, has grown 3" in 6 months. But he was close to dead when I got him and he's doing great now so he must be pretty tough. This picture was 5 months ago.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I keep reading that Jurapari and Satanoperca are one and the same. Still confused-arg!

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Well, they are, kind of. Satanoperca is the genus name, there are more than one species of Satanoperca. Jurupari is the species name, like leucosticta. Two totally different species of fish, but they are both in the Satanoperca genus.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked for quite some time and read all the articles at the Jurapari Project and compared the different markings, etc and he looks identical to Satanoperca leucosticta (i f I spelled that right).
His base color is darker now and he has hundreds of bright blue dots/highlights, along with the bars across the top of his head and reddish highlights on his fins. I'd get you an updated picture my camera's charging right now.
It's not crucial that I know the exact name. Except I like to know, drives me nuts not to know what kind of fish I have. I appreciate you looking. That's what I'd have thought he was also.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great link, thank you. I'd never seen that web site before.
Sure makes me want to get a few more species though. I wish I had the room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.