Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're just bought a 90 gallon tank. We've been trying to decide on whether we should purchase Black-Moon Sand or African Cichlid Substrate Sand. Does anyone know the pro's & con's? What is recommended? :fish:

·
Registered
260 Posts
The black may hide fish poo a bit better than lighter colors.

Be sure to rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse play sand if you go that route...I tried it in a tank and didn't rinse it enough first. After two weeks the water was still cloudy so I pulled it all back out.

I just did a tank with pool filter sand; got 50 lbs for $9 and didn't have to rinse at all. I put it in and water was clear from the beginning.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
My black sand doesn't hide anything. Poop sticks out more than with PFS I think. That said, I still like it and would use it again. If you have poop all over the bottom of the tank, it's time to get it out of there! :thumb:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've got two Marineland H.O.T. canister filters on my 55 with PFS. If I see a little accumulation of poo somewhere I just change the direction of the outflow jets and it seems to kick it up off the bottom and in a few minutes it's all sucked into the filters. I'll vacuum the sand at weekly water changes and rinse the foam sleeves in the filters then also.
Can't believe how much better the tank looks with sand vs. gravel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts