Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two part question:

First, I went to Lowe's to find "pool sand" and I was directed to diatomaceous earth. I'm pretty sure that diatimaceous earth is poisonous and not what is being referred to as "pool sand". Is pool sand just regular sand or does it have special qualities other varieties don't? Would Quickrete sands work just as well?

Second, I have a Fluval FX5 which I'm about to set up. I was wondering if I could use small lava rock as part of the biological filtration. It seems like it would have plenty of surface areas as it's so porous and would also act as a PH buffer. I'm only hesitant because I vaguely remember reading that most people no longer use lava rock in aquariums, though I couldn't remember why.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
the lava rock will work.

pool filter sand comes from pool supply companies. Its used because its relatively clean and dosen't need hours of washing, only a rinse. I don't recommend Quickrete sands, you'll be rinsing it our for days.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's also used because of the level of grit... it's fine yet coarse enough to not fly all over the tank whenever it's disturbed. Definitely wouldn't go with the Quikrete stuff.

Do you have any pool supply stores around you? It's Vegas, there have to be. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DavidH said:
It's also used because of the level of grit... it's fine yet coarse enough to not fly all over the tank whenever it's disturbed. Definitely wouldn't go with the Quikrete stuff.

Do you have any pool supply stores around you? It's Vegas, there have to be. :D
Yeah, there's a Leslie's Pool Supply like 3 minutes from my house. :)

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I've used regular play and all purpose sand before but the last couple times have been more trouble than it is worth. The pool filter sand is more closely regulated than the cheap sand. Grain size , etc. have to be more constant as well as the amount of dirt involved. I got a bag of cheap sand that was so red while rinsing that I never tried putting it in the tank. Some lava rock can have a lot of sharp edges and I don't like to handle it or use it around my fish Paranoid, maybe?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PfunMo said:
I've used regular play and all purpose sand before but the last couple times have been more trouble than it is worth. The pool filter sand is more closely regulated than the cheap sand. Grain size , etc. have to be more constant as well as the amount of dirt involved. I got a bag of cheap sand that was so red while rinsing that I never tried putting it in the tank. Some lava rock can have a lot of sharp edges and I don't like to handle it or use it around my fish Paranoid, maybe?
I picked up some pool filter sand. The lava rock would be going inside my filter. I wouldn't use it as decoration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.