Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question about sands... I work at a foundry and they use a 70 grit silica sand that's supposed to b clean b4 chemicals are added.

The sand is a very nice white color. And I was thinking about using it in one of my tanks since its free

I was told I could take some of the sand home if I wanted to. What I wanted to know is, if cleaned properly will it work for my aquarium substrate or will it b to fine and float or get sucked up into the filters. Also can the sand be to fine and be bad for the fish?[/url]

Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
the only thing i can think to do is to try it.
if you have a spare tank try putting it into there with the filters running.

the white colour sounds good but light coloured substrates can have a disconcerting effect on some fish.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I believe the #70 is too fine to use in a tank. I find even #20, which is the size of PFS to be borderline. Why not take a small sample home to try in a container?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that's what ill do. Ill get as much as I can that will fit into a bottle and put it in a glass milk jug to see how it looks. Would mixing it with another sand help out if its to fine?

I'm just trying to save a few bucks ha ha. I put black sand in my 125 and that's the tank i don't mind putting the money into.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Mixing it with a coarser sand may not work for long because over time the heavier particles will sink and the fine sand will be on top.

Really can't beat the price of pool filter sand, $8 for 50 pounds.

The "glass jug test" should include a filter and python cleaning...because that is where your problems will lie. I have a black sand in one tank that is finer than PFS. Remember the fish darting around will also stir up the sand continuously and you would probably want a pre-filter on your intake...which is also a maintenance headache.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point I didn't think of that. I may just want to spend the fee dollars on something that is known to work well.

My other idea was to wait till spring and try some river or lake silt that's kind of sandy clay like mixture. I always thought it would look more natural but not sure if it would work or if its worth the trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.