Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of sand is recommended for lake malawi species?
I was thinking of using pool filter sand but not sure what kind or if there is a certain type of grade to use.
is there any other options that ppl would recommend and how many 50lbs bags should be suitable for a 50g tank?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got a silica sand for sandblasting at Home Depot. Very white with little flecks of color, very clean. #30 grade but doesn't stir up terribly. $7/100 lb bag. ;) I used one for my 75 gal. More than plenty. I love it so far.

What is available in your area will depend on your local quarry where the sand comes from. I've seen color vary quite a bit depending on where the bag was from.

Check home improvement stores, landscaping businesses, pool stores, etc...

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Pool filter sand is pretty consistent though because I believe it should be clean silica and 20 grain to work properly in the filters. Thus the advantage, you get what you want.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The pool filter sand I tried (from a pool suply store) looked a purplish shade of asphalt grey. I also found it rather coarse and abrasive, more like fine sharp gravel than coarse sand. I didn't like it, needless to say. If you're lucky there'll be a broken bag in the store so you can see the colour & texture before buying.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ended up getting a 50lbs bag of pool filter sand today. when i asked the guy if they sell it, his first question was "fish tank?" lol. he told me ppl go there alot to get sand for their tanks so i feel pretty confident that it'll work good. :)
cost $12 after tax..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.