Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some searching but I have not found a definative answer. I have seen pictures of Salvini this amazing bright yellow color even when they are not breeding. I was wondering if that is because of the area the fish is from, is it what they are fed, or is it the tank set up. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Color of any cichlid can be effected by many aspects.

Diet, and water quality are probably the most important, but genetics also play a role in how 'colorful' a fish can be.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
its all genetics as far as i know, i bought mine, it was grey, now, only 1" bigger then before, bright yellow and pearly, id say buy multples of them and pic the nicest.

food will definitely help, i always recommend New Life Spectrum. if the fish feels secure that wil help as well "a happy fish is a nice fish". i dont know if location point has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Sex has a big part in it too. Males are generally not nearly as vivid as females.Female sals will display bright colors all the time where males typicaly are only at their best during spawning. I'm not sure if the collection point has much to do with things in Sals, but since 99% of the fish in most LFS are tank raised I doubt it has much impact on things anyway. Good water quality and a high quality food are the two big things you can do to help your fish be at their best.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'll second what joel says about females being more colorful. They, for the most part, have the beautiful yellows and reds, whereas the males IMO tend to display the iridescent blue hues more vividly. Either way, awesome looking fish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot for all the input..Im pretty sure I have a male...also I went to all the LFS near my house and none of them have new life spectrum food. I was wondering where would be a good place to get it from.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Online is a good way to go if no one localy has it. A quick search on the web will get you what you need .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts