Cichlid Fish Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
artemis1 said:
The question is, really, is there anything convicts can't cross with :lol: I've heard of con x jag, con x JD, con x RD, and con x midas as well as con x other rocio's or whatever crazy genus they're in now :lol:
I can see the humor in this myself, knowing how cons proliferate. However, when you think about crossbreeding the results aren't really very funny. Do you really want to encourage con-combination cichlids? How are you going to keep these crosses out of the hobby?

FYI: I too keep cons...but make sure their fry have 2 con parents.

Later

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
However, when you think about crossbreeding the results aren't really very funny.
Not funny, no, but no one is laughing about hybrids in the hobby, anyway just because you dont like them doesnt mean others dont, take the flower horn for example.

Do you really want to encourage con-combination cichlids? How are you going to keep these crosses out of the hobby?
No and Im not advocating this in the slightest.

Later
So what? i dont, big deal, I only keep one of each species as I dont generally try for breeding pairs as they can cause havoc in a tank, dont patronise me by saying I should have had a female con.

Please stay out of this post, its not a hybrid debate and I dont want it to become one. Its just a post about something that has happened in my tank and i thought others maybe interested, which they clearly were as I have had a fair few replies, and not one bar yours negative.

As for how will i keep them out of the hobby?? I reply with another question, how will they get on their own from my tank out to others tank or to the lfs? If there is a way which I have over looked then i will clearly address this, should i put a lock on the tank and make sure the car keys are always kept out of reach of the fry? Kind of reminds me of a cartoon, with a million con/sal fry under one long trench coat, trying to look inconspicuous.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I agree with Rob! He has mentioned this OVER and OVER again that he isn't going to release them into the hobby! :roll: Why are you still asking this? Its clearly obvious that he isn't happy that they cross bred but they did! It happens! Its clear that it wasn't intentional!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Let's please not turn this into a huge hybrid debate...or is it too late already? :wink:
Rob says he's not putting the hybrids out into the hobby, and he has also stated he does not want his thread to turn into a convoluted mess (debate about hybrids). Everyone needs to respect that.

Okay, let's move on...
BV

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
marge618 said:
artemis1 said:
The question is, really, is there anything convicts can't cross with :lol: I've heard of con x jag, con x JD, con x RD, and con x midas as well as con x other rocio's or whatever crazy genus they're in now :lol:
I can see the humor in this myself, knowing how cons proliferate. However, when you think about crossbreeding the results aren't really very funny. Do you really want to encourage con-combination cichlids? How are you going to keep these crosses out of the hobby?

Later
buddy, the guy made a joke, no need to get so up tight :? again, it is very obvious he didnt breed them on purpose, and i personally dont wanna listen to someone continuously b**** about it.

i hope you get some nice looking fry when they grow up at least.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Glad there are still people interested.

The latest update is I have about 10 fry left, they havnt been doing to well, mainly I would imagine as this is my first time trying to raise fry and dont really know what im doing.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I currently have them in a 5 gal with a heater and air stone and am changing around 20% of the water every 2 days, and feeding a small amount of crushed flake once a day.

Rob

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine are still wiggling. I guess I will try just letting the parents take care of them or maybe take some and see which ones do better.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well after about 3 weeks, I have 5 of the fry left in the 5 Gal which seem to be doing well, havnt lost any more for a week or so now. How long will it be until they actually start to resemble fish rather than tadpoles?

In the big tank the Sal and con have decided to give it another go. Eggs in the same place again but this time I would guess there are double the amount, I would estimate about 400 this time. Im going to leave them in there, even if this does make the tank a bit of a warzone for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
RobD213 said:
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I currently have them in a 5 gal with a heater and air stone and am changing around 20% of the water every 2 days, and feeding a small amount of crushed flake once a day.
Rob
If you have them isolated and the parents are not raising them, live hatched baby brine shrimp is your best choice for fast growth rates. If you don't have the time to hatch your own, you can try the hikari frozen baby brine shrimp. I also found my fry will take crushed tropical color granuales within the first week of freeswimming.

RobD213 said:
How long will it be until they actually start to resemble fish rather than tadpoles?
Depending on water temps, water changes and amount of feedings I would estimate about 3-5 weeks. Thats usually when they start putting on size and start coloring up for me. My fry seem to like water temps warmer, like 80 - 85 degrees. They seem to grow twice as fast in warmer water then in the 70's. Feedings can be increased to 4-6 times a day as long as you are getting the water changes in.

Dude, I really can't wait to see what these lil buggers look like. Good luck...and congrats on the new spawn! :thumb:

Cole~

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well the new spawn are no freee swimming, they look bigger than the last lot to me for some reason.

All seem healthy, there are about 100 free swimming fry, im going to leave all of these ones in the tank this time and see what happens.

The four remaining in the grow out all seems to be fine although they wont touch the BBS i tried feeding them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a similar surprise, got home from work last night and there low and behold were around 100 fry swimming around.

This is from a Convict cross with Jack dempsey, now this was not planned, I tend to do the same as you to avoid the breeding factor from moving into the tank but wow.

am I excited? yes indeed to see what comes out when they start growing etc...

The Jack dempsey is the male so I was wondering, would that have an impact on what they will look like?

What update do you have on your batch?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Well it seems I havent been on this site for nearly 3 months now very busy with work. I have 2 left which are coming up for an inch long. Ill see if I can get some picture up later, they havent really coloured yet but so far have the shape of the salvini.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts