Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Big Vine said:
Good luck with the spawn...I'm very curious to see what a 'convini' looks like.
BV
Me too.......or a Salvict.....doesnt have the same ring to it does it.......

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Todays Update: Ill let the pics do the talking

Dad and Mum

Mum

Mum and the wrigglers back in the pot

My oscar who is getting hassled by both of them everytime he goes near them :lol:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have checked again today, and I would guess there are around 100 wrigglers, looks like a few less than a couple of days ago but they are starting to show some shape now, you can see the tail quite clearly.

I really need some help as too what to do with the fry, id love to see what they grow into but have no experience in growing out fry, i have a spare 10 gal hex tank which could be used, I was thinking maybe yphon out a few and see what happens.

Anyone any other ideas? Tips etc....

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ok so I have had free swimming fry for the last 3 days now, there seem to be around 100 left, the parents are doing there best to keep them together but i really cant see any making it longer term in there.

I want to grow out a few to see what they look like so am goint to set up a fry tank. So I have some questions.

Should i remove them all, or just a few? Is crushed flakes the best for them? I was thinking of syphoning them out rather than netting, any problems with this? Also any other tips would be great..
Rob

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Siphoning out, unless they are in a column swimming in open space, would be the easiest.

Crushed flake or pellet ground into a powder is fine. Brine shrimp are great to feed to fry but are not really nessesary. I like feeding mashed frozen fish or shrimp but one has to be carefull of excessive uneaten, unremoved food , if your fry tank is not bare-bottom.

I have read of other reports of sal X con cross and the resulting fry took after the convict side and exhibited very little that suggested it even had a sal parent. Can't recall which parent was which, but it might be different everytime, depending on the individual parents (?). It will be interesting to see what your fry look like.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have had my male Pink Convict spawn with the female Salvini...eggs were laid on the vertical rock and hatched-but none survived. :( here is a couple of pics...I had for a temp.-time-just some gravel--now sand. :)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Alistriwen said:
Are you in London England or Ontario? :p I'd love to grab some of the fry off you but your location would make a big difference :).
Im in the proper London :p :lol: UK.

I dont think i'd be up for getting another hybrid out into the hobby though if Im honest anyway. Unless this became the next flwer horn and made me rich :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Okay, glad i took some out as there are none left in the 150. I have them in a 5 gal fry only tank, a few more questions.

How often should i feed?

I have nothing but a piece of driftwood, a heater and a small air stone in there, how often should i change the water and how much?

Cheers

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't have a whole lot of experience raising fry, but when I made my hybrids :p (texas x con) I fed the fry twice a day. If I could have done it three times a day I would have, but its difficult working a full time job with a commute. Anyway, like bernie said crushed flake works fine. Hopefully some will be good looking! Good luck.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
marge618 said:
illy-d said:
grow em up a bit to see what they look like... probably better not to market them though.
Don't know what to say here. Except extremely important not to market them.
Later,
Marge
Then dont say anything, *** said countless times I wont let them get into the hobby :roll:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
definitely update on these fry, im interested to see what they will turn out like.

hes got a point marge618, he did say he wont, so why you repeat it i dont know :?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I can't wait to see the pics of these. I had a con and sal that paired off but they never were able to produce fry that made it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a Pink Convict female who has paired with my Texas Cichlid. The frye hatched 3 days ago. I am in the same boat of not being real sure as to how to proceed. I partitioned the tank off because things got a little crazy when the eggs were laid. I guess I will just wing it. LOL

I am curious as to what a Texas X Convict will look like. A Salvini X Convict would be very interesting as well.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I dont think that one looks that great to be honest! :p

In fact I dont think any hybrids look that great! But I know you weren't meaning for this to happen Rob!! And I know its not your fault!! :)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts