Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I found a ton of really cheap tanks for sale but they have all been used for saltwater and have some salt buildup on them. I was wondering if it is safe to turn them into freshwater tanks. Also how would you clean up any saltwater buildup?

Aquariums: 75 gal ($30), 110 gal ($100), 65 gal ($30), oak 36" stand ($80); oak 48" stand ($15), 55 gal bowfront aquarium/stand/canopy/light, very beautiful ($250); 30 gal acrylic cube ($40), biocube 24 black stand ($40), 30 breeder ($5), 30 tall aquarium ($20), 40 tall ($30), 2 ft metal stand ($20)marineland canister filters (4 at $25 ea), UV sterilizers ($3-10), turtle ramps (free), protein skimmers ($15-100), calcium reactor ($80), lighting units ($5), aquarium heaters ($5-15), air pumps ($2-10)

I am interested in mainly the 75 and 65 gallon tanks, the 65 is still setup and being taken down next week so it holds water!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hot water and vinegar, then do you have to let them sit for so long or no? Also would the salt do anything to the silicone seals? I really do not now how to reseal tanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
My 75 central American tank was not only a saltwater reef for 8 years, but every piece of equipment used for the reef (minus the skimmer obviously) is used with no ill effects.

I even use my old live rock as decorations in my existing freshwater set up.

Those tanks are cheap, but around here you just have to watch craigslist for someone moving, you could get a complete set up for <$50.

I'd definitely buy some of the canisters, lights, uv sterilizers, and all >100 watt heaters though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I plan on buying 1 or 2 of the canisters, although she doesnt list the sizes, I have never used a UV sterilizer not sure why I would start lol

·
Registered
625 Posts
For $3 I'd say it never hurts to try. I have one on mine and its lovely. It really keeps algae growth to almost zero. Im not sure if that's because I take good care of my tank or the UV but something is working right.

·
Registered
705 Posts
sounds like a good deal. i suggest u buy up any of the stealth heaters. (new recall means u can get brand new cost back from petsmart/petco) GL with your purchases. overall its easy to clean off the salt residue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts