Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who’s using salts with hap and peacock set ups and which brand did uses see any difference in using the salt

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
I don't add anything unless I can identify a problem using the test results.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
You don't...that is the problem. There is no way to know whether your tap water already has too little, or too much minerals. Other than GH and KH which only give a general indication.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There are test kits available which can test for MOST, Many, Some fish-tank related water chemistry type parameters... but that being said, I've found them to be not very useful. The fact is that there really is a lot going on particularly with water hardness. It's hundreds of different chemical compositions leading to your hardness numbers.

In the US, it is possible to purchase a water quality report which will detail the above information for $150 to $400. But...

I don't use salts. The fact is, the commercial salts available don't actually mimic the chemistry of Lake Malawi anyway. They are really just expensive baking soda. I did for a while, but I just have aragonite substrate and my hardness and fish are all fine. If your pH is greater than 7 and your KH is 3 or greater, there's no need to adjust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts