Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you use salt? marine, aquarium... blah blah.

what type of salt do you use if you use it and how much do you add?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I use aquarium salt, but less than the recommended (by box) 1tbsp/5 gallon.

I use about 1/2 that (I have a water softener and there's a trace amount of salinity - none to test, but enough it affects plants - so we've found).

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
No NaCl use in any of my fresh water tanks... Never seen a benefit!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
A vet (a few actually) I work with says a little is good for fish. Much like water conditioner does for people (leaving good oils on the skin - less dry skin), it helps make the water a little less abrasive, allowing for a protective film to be produced.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Glaneon
I've met many zoologists, vets, cichlid breeders and ichthyologists who suggest the same... and when asked how that might work they scratch their heads and say they have no idea... they really just add salt out of tradition. The only real known benefit is a reduction in nitrite toxicity... my belief is that this one known use soon became standard practice without any real deep thoughts given to the matter.

I eliminated all NaCl from my freshwater tanks about 15 years ago and have had far better fish keeping success since then than prior. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Number6 said:
Glaneon
I eliminated all NaCl from my freshwater tanks about 15 years ago and have had far better fish keeping success since then than prior. :popcorn:
Which, could, you must admit, may be attributed to your increase in experience vs just salt or no salt. True?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So salt really unneeded than? Or a small amount of aquarium salt?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Glaneon said:
Which, could, you must admit, may be attributed to your increase in experience vs just salt or no salt. True?
Possible. Though elimination of salt, in my humble opinion, feels like it was part of my increase o experiential knowledge. :D

I've no issue with folks adding salt if they feel it helps... :thumb: I just think it helps the aquarist more than the fish :lol:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well if I do decide to throw so salt in what type of salt it wasn't really clear? Aquarium salt? Like the link I posted?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Posts have been removed from this thread. We appreciate the concern others may have for our forum, and notes have been taken. However, we manage our forum, based upon the behaviours of individuals on our forum, not elsewhere on the web. Let's stick to discussions on cichlids and their requirements moving forward.

Thank You.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I'm with No6 on this. Salt is neither necessary or desirable as a regular additive. Some fish actually don't like it. Since most fish we keep in fresh water come from freshwater, the logic should be to not add it. This seems to be one of those myths that has taken on a life of it's own. I recall a converstion with Joe Gargas a number of years ago, shortly after he became the head of R&D for Wardley, about him going to various fish stores to consult with them on problems. He would dip a finer into a tank and taste it to see how much salt they were adding. It was common practice to add salt to all tanks back then. His position was it was unnecessary and undesirable.
In addition the so called "aquarium salt" sold at the lfs is nothing more than uniodized salt, like what is available at the grocery store.
Salt does have some value in treatments and for hatching brine shrimp.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I woul like to thank the admin and thanks for the info billd

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think this is one of those myths about water that started with the big flood. You know, the big flood with the ark!!!! Salt has it's uses for sure but when I look for information on using salt, I try to go to really well trained sorts. The guys with degrees that make it their business to know fish. Not the guy at the local fish shop, usually. I find the people who can name the diseaes and spend their time looking through microscopes at disease, do not recommend salt for everyday use.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no salt it is! thanks everyone. I just use my cichlid lake salt that just adds minerals to the water.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
There are times when I do want to add salt, like for treating ich. When I do add salt, I use salt without additives or iodine. Pickling salt is one which I find cheap and easy to find. Salt is all pretty much the same other than the way it is refined and treated. Rock salt is the same as table salt except not clean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts