Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used to. Not now. It was a hassle figuring how much water you removed and to add the salt back proportionately etc. Now I use salt more for treating purposes and is my first line of defence. Whenever I notice odd behaviour, its salt and melafix. :)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
they don't need salt, I've heard from several LFS that cichlids are brackish fish :roll:
Epsom salt wouldn't be a bad idea for general use. I use instant ocean, like 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons, just because it contains trace elements also. I use it sparingly because I don't need it, and I paid for it :D If you need to buffer, baking soda is a good start. But salt isn't necessary.

·
Registered
326 Posts
So will baking soda make the water harder?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Zachary, I have just set up a 300ltr/66 UK gallon tank and used bicarbonate of soda to get the PH up to 8 it worked very well I used 1 teaspoon to 5 gallons of water left it to work for two days, tested water and added 2 more teaspoon to adjust slightly and tested again PH had come to 8! Just to say I think US gallons are smaller than ours in the UK but I hope this helps. Teddy :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts