Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if i could mix any type of black sand in with my Leslies pool filter sand to try to obtain a salt and pepper look.

I know that if there is a weight disparity that often they may not mix well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You should be able to mix in black tahitian moon sand. You can buy it at your local fish store. Just be sure to mix in a little at a time, adding/mixing it all at once can disturb or destroy the bacteria in your sand bed. Just be patient and mix a cup or two in every few days until you get the desired look. This pic is a mix of caribsea cichlid sand and tahitian moon sand

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
Won't the tahitian moon sand rise to the top making it all-black and harder to clean than PFS?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have white sandblasting sand (really fine) and Black Carib sea which is quite a bit of a bigger grade than the sandblasting sand. I don't have any problems keeping it mixed up it seems between the fish rooting around in it and me disturbing it doing water changes it stays mixed. Sometimes it has more of the white on top and other times more of the black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.