Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, is it okay to paint foamies (not styrofoam) with water based, acrylic paints? Apparently foam of any type doesn't like spray paint judging from some of the topics I've found on this forum? Anyone have any experience in this topic they can share with me?
If it indeed is safe to paint, what would happen if I did not use sealant? Would it crack or chip off?
Thanks for any replies.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
Do you have a specific brand of foam you are considering painting? Actually looking for what the foam is made up of.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I pretty much don't trust anything that isn't proven. SteveC (noted member here) introduced me to an amazing product and I've never looked back. It's called Pond Shield/Pond Armor. It's a little pricey, but it will go a long way if used correctly. Seal it up tight with it (at least two coats) let it dry/harden for a couple days, rinse and I doubt you will have any problems. I've used it on a multitude of items, including airbrushed styrofoam. Haven't killed a fish yet.

·
Registered
641 Posts
+1 on Pond Shield/Pond Armor.

The centerpiece in my 450gal is a 34" arch-shaped section of dead casuarina tree root. After about a year it started breaking down is areas but still looked superb. I used a wood preserver to harden the piece then gave it a couple coats of Pond Armor/Shield. Best thing I could have done as it's pretty much in a preserved state now. Great stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts