Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, DIYers... I'm having trouble with a misbehaving saddle valve that is the water source for my automatic water change system. It should be running continuously at a trickle, but it's running at a gush. So I tried to turn the flow down, and it won't. As far as I can tell, the valve is closed. I can't turn the thing any further, but the flow rate is about 150 gal/ day. If the valve is closed, it should be 0, but I'd be happy if I could get it down to 15 gal/day.

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
I've never used a saddle valve, I assume it is the self piercing type normally used for hooking up an ice maker or water supply to a refrigerator, correct?

My brother the plumber hates these style valves as they either clog up and not supply water OR they no longer control flow and you get full house flow. He says you have a couple options - the preferred is to replace the saddle valve with a copper or Sharkbite tee and then add on a ball valve as your water flow control. You would have to turn off the house main first to make the repair unless you already have a ball valve/shutoff valve on the line you are using.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It is the kind of valve used to tap ice makers and the like into house water. What you describe seems to be what's happening (full house flow) and I don't have a valve on that line. Luckily, the house shutoff is easy to access. I'll look into shark bite valves. And copper tees, but that sounds intimidating. Lol. I'm not a confident plumber, outside of the PVC world.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
It is a Shark Bite Tee (as mentioned) you need and then you add a ball valve. No soldering needed. You can get them at any big box or plumbing supply. Those saddle valves are the worst, their only advantage being anyone can install them. Still, they are ****. This is the other option as it is an all in one http://www.sharkbite.com/product/tee-stop/, probably the easier option.

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
BillD said:
It is a Shark Bite Tee (as mentioned) you need and then you add a ball valve. No soldering needed. You can get them at any big box or plumbing supply. Those saddle valves are the worst, their only advantage being anyone can install them. Still, they are #%$&. This is the other option as it is an all in one http://www.sharkbite.com/product/tee-stop/, probably the easier option.
That's the ideal fix for the OP, thanks for finding exactly what was needed!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts