Cichlid Fish Forum banner

SA Cichlid Tank for beginners

807 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MonteSS 
#1 ·
Hello,

I currently have a 36 gal bow front that i want to start a SA Cichlid communtiy in. Any advice on hearty, appealing, and good community SA cichlids i should look into? and how should i go about the decor. I also have sand substrate already in the tank.

And, if anyone knows of a decent Fish store in the San Diego area, that'd be nice. My local store is Fish haven and big chain pet stores. (which arent the best in some cases).

Please help, could really use some direction and advice!! THanks

#2 ·
If I were you I would check aquabid, there are always tons of people on the west coast selling fish there and most will do local pickup. Any ideas on what you want to keep at this point? Apistos are really nice looking and pretty peaceful for a community setting and you could keep a few in a 36G.

#3 ·
I can't really help you much with you fish selection, but I live in San Diego and know of 3 shops you may like.

Aquatic Warehouse - just off Clairemont Mesa Blvd
Pet Kingdom - Sports Arena Blvd
Fountains - La Mesa

I do have some Bolivian Rams, which seem to be fine with the hard water and high pH, they are enjoyable to watch and very active.

Ian.

#4 ·
I also would reccomend Bolivian Rams or Keyhole Cichlids. They both can live with Tetras and cory cats in a community setting. They are active, playful, fun cichlids.

I think that is a 30" tank? or is it 36"?

....Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.