Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently became an aquarium owner about 18 months ago. I've learned so much along the way that it is time to admit some of my stocking does not mix.

I'm ashamed to say I fell for the same trap that everyone else does at first. I have not looked at any vents of any of the fish so I can not say for sure which ones are male and female, but some I have watched spawn and I have a pretty good idea. I did not take into account anything other than buying African's that would stay small 6" or so (Except the Hap and the Hornet) when I purchased my fish.

I ask that you please take it easy on me... I'm seeking your advice and help to better the life of my fish.

As far as filtration, I feel as if I'm set.. I have a MAGMUM H.O.T model that does 250gph, and 3 cascade 600's that do 175gph each.. and a cascade 400 that does 125gph.

My ph is 7.8.

I have two 55 gallon tanks now, and contemplating trading with a local guy here for a 75 gallon. Before I do this I want to make sure I am not stressing the fish by mixing them.

Tank 1
Cobalt Blue Zebra Cichlid x1 (Although I have two Cobalts and they look nothing alike)
Convict Cichlid x2 (3", I know, SA - but they seem to fit fine)
Jewel Cichlid x1 (Female, 4.5")
Electric Blue Hap Mix x1 (Male 4") (I've read that I should not mix these with my buna)
Electric Blue Johanni Cichlid x1 (3.5")
Auratus Cichlid x1 (3.5")

Tank 2
Albino Socofoli Cichlid x1 (Female, 3")
Hornet Cichlid x1 (Male, 4.5")
Cobalt Blue Zebra Cichlid x1 (3.5")
Convict Cichlid x2
Jewel Cichlid x1 (Female, 3")
Kenyi Cichlid x1

All together 14 cichlids. My biggest concern is size as 3 of the convicts were offsprings and are very small, but have survived so long. The Kenyi is a baby 2" too, but definitely a tough little SOB... the way he is eating he will be 4" in no time. The majority of these fish are about a 1 year old, with the exception of the Cobalt and the Kenyi - they are probably about 6 months.

My thoughts:

I have read the Hap does not mix well with Buna but has always seemed to do well, he is definitely a top layer swimmer. His fins are always sharp, and he definitely puts away more food than the Hornet who is bigger. I know I have a lot of temperamental cichlids(bumble bee, auratus, electric blue is not too nice, jewel is definitely a tough guy but only because he's the biggest), etc.... so I just want to make sure I'm not unloading too much for one 75 gallon.

I am semi-concerned that the Jewels since the ph limit for them is around 7.5. They have been in my 7.8ph for about a year each.

Please let me know which fish to get rid of. If anyone lives near Roanoke, VA and is interested is any of the fish I shouldn't keep, please contact me - I'd much rather give them to one of you than a fish store for resale.

·
Registered
350 Posts
is this going be a show tank or a breeding tank setup?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strictly a show tank, not really interested in breeding.. hoping none of them will, but I know with good water conditions and good hiding spots and they will find a way. I know those convicts are hard to stop, though. I may have to get rid of the babies, I wouldn't want the babies having offspring with the female mother.

Please let me know what you think! Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
350 Posts
i will drop the hornet, kenyi, auratus imo. as these can get very aggressive. the johanni can get aggressive too but not as bad as the hornet, kenyi, auratus. the jewels can handle the 7.8 ph. just that you will get either more males or females offspring they breed. the convicts and jewels can very aggressive once they start to breed. other then that you just have to keep a close eyes on them and weed out the one you dont like. if the convict breed the african cichlids can handle any lost wondering fry. it all come down on which fish you like and dont like. so let us know which fish you like and planning to transfer to the 75g.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hornet is without a doubt my favorite fish.. as is the auratus, and the johanni.

I would rather keep those three(auratus, johanni, and hornet) and get rid of all my fish to be honest. Is there just no way they could all fit in the same 75 g being as aggressive as they are? I would honestly like to transer them all, but if I can not - just tell me which ones I would need to get rid of.

The last time the convict tried to have babies, 3 survived... out of what looked to be at least 50 fry.

·
Registered
350 Posts
they all can go in the 75g but in short term run only not recommend for the long term run. if the hornet, johanni, and auratus are your fav. i will drop the rest and up the number of those three . johanni 1m/5f, hornet 1m/6-7f, and auratus same as the hornet. if they breed let nature do it part. maybe 2-3 fry will make it to adult.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. That's what I needed to (unfortunately) hear.

I guess I for sure need to examine the vents of all three fish to determine m/f. Then I need to up and grab an extra 17 fish.

This is going to be an expensive project.

Are there no other fish you could see me keeping that could possibly fit long term with the crabro, johanni and auratus?

·
Registered
350 Posts
the hornet take 2 spot so do the auratus so that 4 spot already and the johanni took up the last spot. you can only have 5 speice aka spot in a 75g tank. at that size they should have color up for you to tell males from females on the hornet and auratus. you will have to vent the johanni though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
soulpride said:
the hornet take 2 spot so do the auratus so that 4 spot already and the johanni took up the last spot. you can only have 5 speice aka spot in a 75g tank. at that size they should have color up for you to tell males from females on the hornet and auratus. you will have to vent the johanni though.
If I could give you a star or something for your help I would.

Thank you so much. It will take me a few months to make this transition...

Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
If I were going to keep auratus, crabro and johannii I'd do a 72" tank and 1m:7f of each.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.