Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have three Rustys. One is clearly male to me, lots of black in the fins and some nice defined eggs spots (and the largest of the three). The other two (I have no idea of their sexes) are smaller, darker in colour, and just spend all day sitting together between middle and top section and to the left of the tank.

When they occasionally come down into the community for a mooch around they are usually chased by the large male back into the top left corner.

Does anyone know what could be going on here? Their behaviour doesn't look normal and I am beginning to get a bit worried.

The tank is well oxygenated, cycled, ammonia/nitrite zero, I do regular water changes, ph8.

Thanks for any help,

Ian.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Even with Rustys I would recommend 1M:4F
You may have multiple males though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Glaneon. I would love that kind of ratio, but how can do you go about that? Tried venting a yellow lab today, as I reckon my ratios of them are wrong, but couldn't make out any discernible genitalia.

Ian

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm no expert in venting unfortunately.

If you're good with a camera, you could take pictures (perv!) and post'm. Someone can tell if they're old enough.

Hard when picking out fish in a store though - most people buy extras and return/resell ones that turn out to be male.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glaneon said:
return/resell ones that turn out to be male.
This is the part I am confused about! How can you know ultimately, unless you wait forever and they don't ever breed. I have read so many anecdotes on this forum of people that were convinced they had a male and it turned out to be female and vice verca. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Venting, or removing the ones that end up up top in corners (skeered!) - no guarantee the scared ones are males, but it's more likely.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have one Rusty that is doing this as well, it's definitely stress.. Being chased by the dom male.. Mine are still juvies, so i'm also figuring out the sex of each.. Will remove them as it becomes a problem.. I currently have 4 in there, was shooting for 1m 4f but my lfs was out of them.. Looks like so far i have 2m 2f

1 - 8 of 8 Posts