Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My rusty cichild seems to have been holding for a very long time and is starting to get me concerned about her health. I believe it has been atleast 5 weeks if not more. Her throat pouch has increased in size and I can even see some black dots through her throat which I assume are the eggs/fry? Her body is getting very skinny from not eating all this time. This is my first mbuna tank so was wondering if anyone else has had experience with very long holding times and if I have anything to worry about? I apologize for the picture quality as she rarely comes out from the rocks and is difficult to get a picture of her. Thanks for the advice!

Water Underwater Body of water Fish Marine biology

Water Underwater Sky Marine biology Lake

·
Administrator
40,638 Posts
She does not look skinny to me. Average is 28 days and it sounds like you are not 100% sure of the exact day she started holding? I would probably wait.

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had one that had eggs for a little while, then seemed to lose them for a couple days, then had eggs again.
I'm assuming the eggs were lost and spawned again - but if I hadn't noticed the fish with no eggs in between I might have thought it was just a single really long hold.
Maybe that happened here?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to go back to see if I took any pictures of her when I first noticed and to my amazement its been 8 weeks. However, throughout these 8 weeks, I wouldn't see her for days or even a week at a time so is it possible that maybe she ate her first batch and quickly started holding again? She seems very eager to eat now as recently shes been actually coming out to swim around when I provide food but obviously can't eat. Do mbunas start holding again that quickly when they havent ate in so long? Temp is 78. I was able to get a better picture of her today if this helps. Thanks!
Water Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology

1 - 7 of 7 Posts