Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grabbed this little guy on impulse, against my better judgment... It came out of a "mixed african" tank. I was positive it was a juvie rustie, (I've never owned a rustie, but really like them) now I think it is a hybrid. I'm thinking rustie/labeotropheus. I would love to hear what you all think...

I'll try to get some better shots.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My rustys look nothing like that so if it was sold as a rusty i would say its probably a hybrid.. Otherwise I don't know what else it is :?

Mostly anything sold out of the mixed or assorted tanks are hybrids

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cromak said:
Mostly anything sold out of the mixed or assorted tanks are hybrids
Yeah, I know...

The photos suck. He/it is only about 1", in good light he is blue and rust colored, he looks a lot like photos of juvie ruties I've seen. It is the upper lip that is throwing me off, it looks too fleshy...

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am a previous owner of Rusties, purchased from a reputable seller of high quality fish who will remain unnamed, and mine looked nothing like that. Interesting looking fish though. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Definitely not a rusty. Interesting looking fish though.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Not a pure rusty. I'm not sure what it is, but probably a hybrid.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I agree with the others. I have had a good amount of rusty fry and juvies, and yours looks nothing like them. That lip makes the Fuelleborni x Rusty cross believable.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Anybody have any pics of juvie rusties you can share?

Any mods or Foglehund care to chime in?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I've never kept rusties but you have some replies from experienced fishkeepers, sounds right. Any time you buy from a mixed tank you have to expect to own a hybrid, even if it looks like a pure fish. :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Here are some pictures of my juvies from delivery day until a few days later.

This shot has two rustys near the bottom of the group and the bigger/dominant male on the right. He was the biggest in the shipment and he grew like crazy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts