Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

my Ruby Red Peacocks seem to be very quiet and shy, I have 1 Male and 2 females in a 110 litre tank, is there any thing i can do ?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Tusker said:
hi guys,

my Ruby Red Peacocks seem to be very quiet and shy, I have 1 Male and 2 females in a 110 litre tank, is there any thing i can do ?
What are the dimensions of the aquarium? What else is in with them?

·
Registered
497 Posts
And what is the size of the fish and how long have you had them? Any other tank mates? Also 1M 3F is abetter ratio but 1 to 2 is ok with peacocks. I prefer to keep 2-3 males and 7 to females. Males color for the ladies but also to compete with other males.

Another thing to consider is that the Ruby Reds have been line bred so much by inexperienced aquarists that are actually dissapearing rather than increasing.

I have used several sources to get my colony and first things first. The deep red often seen in pictures are very uncommon. The 1st group I got I got rid of all but 1 male and a couple females thinking I could do better and they are actually the best I have found.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
length 122 cm
width 30 cm
hieght 36 cm

110 litre tank

I have a rena filstar xp3

TETRA TETRATEC APS300 AQUARIUM AIR PUMP 300lph 120-300L

And a Rena 200W Smart Heater / Heaterstat Unbreakable

Just the three Ruby Red Peacocks, the male now seems to be colouring up, just had them for 4 days.

1 Male 2 Females

Male

Female

The Tank

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Not enough fish in the tank and not enough time to settle in.

See how they are doing in two weeks.

Also in a 55G, you probably want at least 4 females for the male and if you stick with 1m:4f of these then you probably want to add one or two other species. Malawi feel safer with lots of other fish around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.