Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** tried researching this fish but due to the different variants theres a bit of confusion.

I have a little ruby red peacock i got from Big Als, its maybe 2-2.25 inches. Its got brownish vertical barring as well as orangy red speckled fins, as well as orange on its shoulder. Its pelvic fins reach the anal fin in length. If i look really close at its face i see tiny tiny blue speckles. Does this sound like a male? *** tried searching female ruby reds but havent seen any pictures. You cant really see the blue until it angles its face towards the light, but its definitely there. Its also territorial with my yellow sunshine peacock male whos more colored up but still has those vertical bars as hes only maybe 3 inches.

Do females ever have a small amount of that blue coloration? im trying to sex the ruby red and a taiwan reef juvi of smaller size with tiny blue speckles.

I will get some pictures by tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome. No hes not getting picked on from my perspective. The only chasing that occurs is mostly from my two dominant males that like to battle it out for control.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
LOL- aren't they always power hungry???? :lol:

Give him a few months and he'll color up. Two of my fish I bought when they were juvies, a 2" ruby and a 1.5" Ngara. Seems like it took them forever to color up but they eventually did. Here is what the Ngara looked like a year ago and now he's just grown in size and turned a darker red throughout the tail.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
aznf0o said:
Definitely a male. Female Ruby Reds usually remain brown/dark brown.
This is definately true in naturally raised fish.

The challenge is when these are fish that had been hormoned. The females will tend to have some male characteristics.

If these fish were purchased in a tank with mostly brown individuals, chances are they weren't hormoned. If there was a bunch of juvenile fish, with colouration, they likely were hormoned.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
DanniGirl said:
LOL- aren't they always power hungry???? :lol:

Give him a few months and he'll color up. Two of my fish I bought when they were juvies, a 2" ruby and a 1.5" Ngara. Seems like it took them forever to color up but they eventually did. Here is what the Ngara looked like a year ago and now he's just grown in size and turned a darker red throughout the tail.
Nice ngara and nice GSP's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts