Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Upgraded to a 125 for Christmas. Pretty sure my floor won't cave in :) I was looking to round out my stock, was hoping you guys could chime in here as I still don't have a ton of experience with peacocks/haps. I was trying to go with a peaceful-ish hap/peacock tank, per DJRansome's advice. Current stock is:
-Turquoise Hap/Protomelas Marginatus
-Mylo Lateristriga Makanjilia/Mylochromis Lateristriga Makanjilia
-Ahli Electric Blue/Sciaenochromis Fryeri "Maleri Island"
-Taiwan Reef Cichlid/Protomelas sp. Steveni Taiwan
-Aulonocara Sunshine Peacock/Aulonocara sp. stuartgranti "Maleri"
-Ngara Flametail (Mdoka Yellow)/Aulonocara Stuartgranti
-Flavescent Peacock Cichlid/Aulonocara stuartgranti usisya
-Fireline Mloto/Copadichromis Trewavasae Mloto Likoma
-Deep Water Hap/Placidochromis electra
Borleyi-
Albino Red Cap
Ethelywnnae-
Bi-Color 500-
Midnight-
Sulfur head
Venustus
Azureus
White lab-
-3 Catfish and a Bristlenose

The ruby red and Red Top Lwanda I started with both died within the 1st week, so my tank is lacking reds (the borleyi has no color, don't know if he will color) and greens (I wanted a lethrinops but they didn't have any when I ordered).

So I'm wondering what you guys think if I add the following: German Red, Red Empress, Red Cap Lethrinops, and Lethrinops Albus?

Additional question: Should I get rid of that Venustus now? I knew better than picking one up, but my kids fell in love with "giraffe fish" when I was at the fish store, and I couldn't say no. He's one of the smaller fish right now, and still my kid's favorite, but the fact that he is in there gives me the willies based on reputation, not current behavior. Thoughts? As always, thanks fish folks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is this meant to be an all-male tank? If some/all are too small to be colored, my guess is some turn out to be female, which might cause problems going forward, unless you plan to remove.

Can't recommend lethrinops in this mix, as I have a hard time imagining they would color up in the presence of larger more aggressive fish.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, this is an all-male tank. Thanks for the clarification. And yes, I'm planning on removing any females. Only 3 or 4 of the current fish in the tank haven't colored up at all, but they are probably the 4 smallest fish in the tank.

I thought that might be the case with Lethrinops. I've watched a whole bunch of youtube videos of all male 125's and I only ever saw 1 lethrinops that had any color at all in a non-species tank. Probably a real long-shot. Thanks for the input guys. I really want to add a Ruby Red, at the very least, but I don't want to add a single fish. Guess I need to figure out 2 more fish to add so the Ruby won't get singled out.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Agree on the lethrinops in a male tank. If it makes you feel better, they are not all that green...even in a species tank.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, here is a related question that I'm confused about. What about Otopharynx tetrastigma? You recommended that I put one of those in my 75, DJ, but I couldn't find one during initial stocking. And the guy at the fish place led me to believe that is a Lethrinops (and this isn't a typical petsmart employee, I went to a forum sponsor). I've been searching the internet today and I'm getting mixed information. Some are saying that Otopharynx tetrastigma is the same thing as a Lethrinops Intermedius, but others are saying it's a different species. Can you clarify this for me, my dude? And will a Otopharynx tetrastigma color up in my tank if it's a seperate species? They look awesome and I would love to get my hands on one, if he will thrive in my tank. Thanks dude.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
I've kept them...like the Lethrinops they can look green-blue-silver in the right light. Still not green IMO.

There is industry wide debate that has been unresolved since I came into the hobby in 2005. Intermedius and Tramitichromis and Lethrinops and Otopharynx tetrastigma...see some discussion here. https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/ ... hp?id=1279

The picture in this profile looks like the Otopharynx tetrastigma that I have kept, and this is the look I want so I go with these.

From Cichlidae, here is the nomenclature history:
Lethrinops intermedia, Trewavas, 1935, original combination
Tramitichromis intermedius, Eccles et al., 1989, new combination

Cichlidae does not have intermedius listed under Lethrinops at this time.

When I first bought the Otopharynx, I did order Tramitichromis intermedius. I was told by my vendor that the Otopharynx is the closest thing available and it does look like the pic in the CF profile. At least it has a scientific name and I have enjoyed them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As always, great info. Thanks my dude.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I purchased a young male Mylochromis plagiotaenia in hopes of looking for a green coloration. Mine is to small to fully color up yet, therefore I can't say how green it actually will be. I have never had this fish before. It could fall into the lighting category DJ mentioned, but I'm not sure. Maybe some of the other forum members have experience with these and can chime in.

·
Registered
874 Posts
DJRansome said:
There is industry wide debate that has been unresolved since I came into the hobby in 2005. Intermedius and Tramitichromis and Lethrinops and Otopharynx tetrastigma....
I am surprised that Ad Konings hasent put an end to this debate yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts