Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you suggest me some rommates for N. Brichardi in a 400lt tank ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1.5*0.5*0.62 m

·
Registered
173 Posts
How about a dozen cyps for the top half and J. transcriptus which don't seem to mind being confined to the rocks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes I had in mind j.transriptus although I had this fish before in great numbers.....
I was wondering if any Shell Dwellers can survive in there......

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
They could... If by "If" you're asking IF it's possible. Sure it is. But not likely that anything will survive a group of Brichardi in a tank less than 6-8 feet. you'll start finding finless floating transcriptus at some point I'd wager but the cyps will probably just kill themselves via leaping or just slimming from the stress of being harassed. The shellies will die sooner.

All that being said Brichardi are cool and worth keeping in a species setup.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Given all my fish are young, I have N. helianthus with 4-week old fry in a 29g with some transcriptus and T. vittatus juvies. The tank is profused with Java Fern that probably shrinks down these "Brichardi Complex" fishes territorial needs. I also do something different which most people probably won't like-I use Swordtails as dither fish (4/tank). I"ve been doing this for over a year and it has really cut down my losses among my precious cichlids. I use them because they use the upper tank and handle the pH and hardness well. Other than their use I really want my tanks to look as L. Tanganyika as possible and build intricate rockwork structures assembling them with tank seallant.

You almost forget to see the dithers and the Java Moss you can imagine to be algal growth if kept trimmed.

I have been patiently waiting for the "un-Civil War" to break out in any of my 4 similarly stocked tanks but so far it hasn't. And yes, I am planning a N. helianthus only tank and have a 40g (160 l.) almost ready to start cycling-in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My advice is to have a second tank on standby for when your brichardi start spawning. I've seen them push an entire colony of Tropheus into about 1' of a 6' tank while they were guarding their young.

I can't say for certain you'll have problems, only that it pays to be ready in case you do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts