Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was just wondering if it would be possible to add a few synodontis lucipinnis to my tank that i know is already pushing the max capacity as is.

I have a 40 gallon breeder with 8 Yellow labs all about 2.5" and 2 reticulated hillstream loaches for glass duty, but it is getting to that time where the labs are gonna start putting the moves on each other and i really do not want any fry and was hoping that i could add a couple of the cats for fry control.

With that in mind, do you think that i could accomodate the extra fish or should i just stand pat? My measureables are all fine...ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, water change 40%ish every week. I do keep the water temp a little lower to help with the loaches at about 74 degrees though. I just really do not want to be overrun with lab fry and dont want to chase them around trying to catch them after the inevitable aspect of nature happens.

Thanks in advance for all of your opinions.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You might consider a group of Synodontis multipunctatus. They are much better at fry control than the S. lucipinnis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would not worry about it, when my fish breed and realease the fry, they usually all get eaten anyway by the other adults.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
A 40-gallon breeder with 10 fish is fully stocked IMHO and the labs will be outgrowing the tank soon . . . So I wouldn't add synos. I agree with the other poster that you won't have to worry with babies surviving in the tank as it is. In the future, if you upgrade say to a 55, then either lucippinis or multipunctatus would be great. I (heart) my synos!!!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Same here. Obviously something like this depends on the kind of cover your tank decoration provides for fry, but I've not had a fry make it to juvenile stage in the 2 years I've had my current set up.

kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts