Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all :)

I have 2 Cichlid tanks set up right now both tanks have healthy vibrante fish,, and lately Iv been dream of a 3rd tank ( project in my mind )

I wann do a 42x12x12 low profile type of thing and I want to use all white sand at the bottom and a wall of black rocks... So I went down to the local train tracks and collected alot of cool black rocks that lay around the tracks. :dancing:

I want to know what type of rocks these are ? ( the type used at train tracks ) and if they are safe to use in the Malawi tank ?

The rocks look natural and crushed up from a quarry I got some cool flat pieces and maybe the rock is Magnisiam :?

:fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
The rock probably differs by what is available locally since shipping rock is expensive. I'd think rock near tracks could have been exposed to toxins from the equipment and track maintenance?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have you ever wondered how the get sewage of the trains? That's right! Plus rail companies also spray insecticides along the tracks for weed and tree control. I would not collect anything from the rail line for ant reason.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
The rock probably differs by what is available locally since shipping rock is expensive. I'd think rock near tracks could have been exposed to toxins from the equipment and track maintenance?
the rocks look great tho, and seem clean , I also cleaned them all and also bolied thm for long time ( that should kill any bad bacteria )

the rock seem almost like iron ore or something high in mineral content very heavy strong rock

·
Registered
256 Posts
I posted on your other thread, but I would not personally trust those rocks in my fish tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts